2.5.10
Today in church we learned about how to be a virtuous woman and HOLY MOLY am I failing!
Wait.
Not true.
I really don't think I am failing, I am actually feeling pretty good about my little world right now.
But it did get me thinking about some stuff.
The teacher filled the entire board with words or attitudes that describe a virtuous woman. Words like honest, happy, cleanly, obedient, thankful, peaceful, kind, supportive blah blah blah blah....
That list was mighty long.
At first I got that familiar "FAIL" feeling that can so easily seep into your soul at church. The one that tells you it doesn't matter how hard you try, you just aren't gunna ever be good enough.
Anyone else ever feel that way?
But then I thought about all the things I AM doing. Things like raising 4 crazy kids without totally loosing my sanity, or keeping the house clean enough that sometimes you can actually see the floor. How bout making a dinner that includes a veggie other than canned beans?
Or on a bigger scale....teaching my children to think for themselves and encouraging them to follow their hearts. Standing up for myself and fighting battles that are scary, but important. Creating traditions that hopefully will warm my children's hearts for the rest of their lives and remind them that they are loved.
I am not always kind, I am not always peaceful or patient. I don't always say thank you or ask nicely.
I will never be the ideal. That just ain't my style.
I don't buy the whole "suck it up and just be perfect" bit.
I like the "do what works for you and be proud of the good" thing much better. Throw in a little "maybe today I will make a goal to be more_____________" and I think your on the right path.
Okay, now it's your turn. How do you feel when you see that list on the board. Does it make you cry or excited? How do you better yourself every day without sending yourself to the looney bin? How do you define a virtuous woman?
and....go!
But other times, I feel good. I do remember the things that I'm trying to do, and that helps.
It's easy to get down and feel like we're failing, and even easier to forget some of the good things we as mothers/wives do. Thanks for the reminder to look for the good.
BTW, the dark blue text color is REALLY hard to read. I had to hi-lite the text to be able to read it. Something lighter would probably work better.
That is my list.
Oh, and by the way, I like you. :) I so so hear you. You know that, right?