29.4.10

Last Friday Wes had his tonsils out. He was SOOO excited.  We did not go to the most excellent children's hospital we are lucky to live by, but rather a much smaller "regular" hospital and Wes was the only kiddo scheduled that day.(minus one little baby who SCREAMED from beginning to end.)  This made him the star and there was much doting and fawning, which only added to his delight.
He was a total trouper. Did not cry or freak out, but cooperated and smiled with the highlight being wheeled to the car in a wheelchair grinning from ear to ear.
Good times.
That is...until we got home.
It took a day to fully come out of the anesthesia and ever since then he has been MISERABLE. They told us some kids bounce right back and same take a while, Wes belongs to the the latter.  He has been in so much pain. It really breaks a mom's heart.
All I can get him to eat is Slurpees, and they must be the real deal... no fakey wannabes. The 7-11 people now ask how he is doing when I walk in. They have been very sweet. I keep thinking I should get a some sort of buy 35 get 1 free deal, but nothing yet....
The other fun thing is he won't talk. He'a made up his own sign language to let us know what he wants. It surprised me how quiet the house has been, I didn't know he was such a chatter box. It also surprised me how much I like hearing his little voice and how much I miss it now it's gone.
Today I sent him to preschool. I thought it would do him some good to get out of the house. He did all right for the first half, but at snack time he swallowed a Nutri Grain bar and it really hurt. His teacher said he tried so hard to not cry and be brave, but he still fell apart. I got him home and after some serious drugs he is fast asleep.
Everyone says day 5 is the worst and we are now on day 6. Hopefully things are on the mend.
On the way home from preschool, he did manage to squeak out a few swollen words... "mom, I want my tonsils back."  I don't want them back, the poor kid had apnea and snored like a chain saw, but I want my Weston back.  Stinky breath and nasty drool aside, this may just be the new "worst" of motherhood.

3 Comments:

  1. Stacy Holmes said...
    oh,I am so sorry! My house is always open to your kiddos if you need to send one or two my way. Sounds like you need a break!
    Emily said...
    Oh POOR Wes. And poor you. That makes me so sad! Especially about the school/nutri grain bar. Breaks my heart. You're nice to get him slurpees. I bet he loves it!
    stacey said...
    Oh I hear your pain. My Quinn had his out when we was just over 2 years and it was the LONGEST weeks of my life! I hope he starts to feel better fast and after he does he will be a new kid. It is amazing the difference we saw in Quinn after the swelling went down. I also heard day 13 was bad because that is when the scabs fall off - Hang in there!

Post a Comment