20.1.10

In the spirit of my new journal keeping goal, I stole this from Stacy and Emily, two cute cousin's-in-law that I have gotten to know through blogging. Thanks guys!

What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? Drove to the Oregon coast and stayed in a beach house.

Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? So good at setting, so bad at keeping. But I feel no remorse. Goal setting is not my best subject so I have made it a goal not to care.

Did anyone close to you give birth? My sister. I got to be in the room when he was born and it was amazing.

Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully no.

What countries did you visit? No countries, only a handful of states.

What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Honestly, less drama. I felt like I was a drama harbor for a while there and I didn't like it one bit.

What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? nothing specific, more like summer b/c that was our big trip, Christmas b/c that was when we finally finished the basement... stuff like that.

What was your biggest achievement of the year? Finishing the basement with my dad!

What was your biggest failure? Taking the binkie away from Lucy. =(

Did you suffer illness or injury? Thankfully, no.

What was the best thing you bought? My new camera. Love that thing.

Whose behavior merited celebration? Kaden's. He is getting so grown up and mature. He surprises me almost everyday with how amazing he is.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? All I will say about that is I learned some tough lessons on how narrow minded some folks can be.

Where did most of your money go? Basement basement basement.

What did you get really, really, really excited about? So many thing: Asher's birth, new carpet, watching my kids enjoy the ocean for the first time.... it's been a good year.

What song will always remind you of 2009? Can I name a band instead? Arcade Fire. It was my finishing the basement band, my 17 hours in the car with my kids band and my "I am tuning you all out with my ipod on so don't even try to talk to me" band.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Disillusioned, but working toward happiness.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, but it seems like there is always something to spend the money on.

What do you wish you’d done more of? Been honest with myself.

What do you wish you’d done less of? Sweating the small stuff.

How did you spend Christmas? At home with family. We are so lucky to have everyone so close. It makes the holidays really nice.

Did you fall in love in 2009? Every day a little more.

What was your favorite TV program? Total TV junkie, too many to name. How sad is that?

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope.

What was the best book you read? Wuthering Heights of all the random things. There are some amazing passages in there that spoke right to my soul.

What was your greatest musical discovery? Listening to Kade plunk away at the piano.

What did you want and get? Some great new friends.

What did you want and not get? New flooring for my upstairs!

What was your favorite film of this year? Lars and the Real Girl. Best Movie Ever. It came out in 2007, but I didn't discover it until 2009.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? My birthday is a lame one, too close to Christmas to do anything fun. Went to dinner with my honey and bought myself a new shirt.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I agree with CIL Stacy, a magic wand would take care of things nicely.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? t shirts, jeans, and sneakers. Oh, and if it is cold, a hoodie.

What kept you sane? My husband and kids. My sisters and friends. And Netflix.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? That darn Edward Cullen. I became obsessed!

What political issue stirred you the most? Prop 8 and all the hoopla that came with it.

Who did you miss? Honestly no one. Like I said, I have been lucky in this area so far.

Who was the best new person you met? My new friends around the corner and down the street.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Be true to you.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

Mary Chapin Carpenter "Why Walk When you Can Fly"

In this world there's a whole lot of trouble, baby
In this world there's a whole lot of pain
In this world there's a whole lot of trouble
But a whole lot of ground to gain
Why take when you could be giving, why watch as the world goes by
It's a hard enough life to be living, why walk when you can fly

In this world there's a whole lot of sorrow
In this world there's a whole lot of shame
In this world there's a whole lot of sorrow
And a whole lotta ground to gain
When you spend your whole life wishing, wanting and wondering why
It's a long enough life to be living, why walk when you can fly

In this world there's a whole lot of cold
In this world there's a whole lot of blame
In this world you've a soul for a compass
And a heart for a pair of wings
There's a star on the far horizon, rising bright in an azure sky
For the rest of the time that you're given, why walk when you can fly

8 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    you make me wish i had a basement.
    Alison said...
    Good List. Self Reflection is a good thing. Love the song. I think I'll go listen to it now.
    RACHELLE said...
    i wanna see lars and the...real girl??? is there british decor in it? is lars even a british name? maybe not... im a nerd.

    i liked your list.

    it was simple and lovely.

    to me that means you are on the right path.

    xoxo shell
    Boquinha said...
    You know, Jill, I wrote "SILs" on my list of people keeping me sane, but I should have said CIL/SIL, because you are certainly on that list! I think I lump you in with "SIL" sometimes. :P

    Love your list and feel all special that I've been able to hear about a lot if throughout the year as we've talked and chatted.

    I have a quote for you that I love and your lyrics reminded me of it--hope you like it; it's been an inspiration to me:

    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -- Anais Nin
    Boquinha said...
    * a lot of it throughout the year
    Jillo said...
    No British anything Rachelle. More like a whole lotta Wisconsin love with bad hats and frozen ponds. But you should totally check it out. It's a good one. I miss you! Hope you are doing good.

    Boquinha, LOVE the quote. It is perfect for me right now. Thanks! I am sticking it on my mirror. Also love our chats and love you too. =)
    Jillo said...
    Oh...and Emily.... Basements totally ROCK! (but only when they are finised. Up until that point they are a big, black money hole that sucks all your time and energy, but does make you a bit skinnier.)
    J Fo said...
    LOVE the list. I also LOVE Lars and the Real Girl. So sweet! I need to watch it again now!

Post a Comment