21.10.09

So let's discuss.....

How scared are you of catching swine flu this winter?

Will you have your family vaccinated?

What do you think of closing down entire schools or work places due to swine flu?

Do you feel that the media is blowing things out of proportion when it comes to the severity and dangers of swine flu?

Are there any extra precautions you are going to be taking this winter due to swine flu that you would normally avoid?

I am SO not a germaphobe, but even I am starting to freak out a little and I even purchased hand sanitizer to keep in my purse and van.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

12 Comments:

  1. Shafferprincess said...
    Brandon will probably for sure get it because of his job situation. It's not even available for me until the very end of October, and my due date is right then. I'd hate to get side-effects and have symptoms of the flu during labor.

    As for the boys getting the shot, Brandon & I are debating. He says we should go for it - I'm hesitant. I don't know why - I haven't even really studied anything about the vaccine. It's just my mommy gut. I don't like the idea. I really don't know why.

    And, we've been trying to avoid going out, and when we do, we wipe down cart handles like crazy, put sanitizer on anytime we get in or out of a store, or get home, or play with friends . . . As for me and the baby - we won't be leaving the house for a while unless it's absolutely necessary.

    So, those are my thoughts. Hmm.
    Amber said...
    now you've done it... LOL! Kidding. Um, NO on the vaccine. My dr said he won't give it to HIS 5 kids- that was enough for me. I'm not thrilled of shootin up my kids with things that haven't been around very long. Not taking the chances. Don't think schools should be shut down. Janitors may need to clean better. :) i'm not doing anything 'more'...i always have sanitizer, but rarely use it. :) Media is freaking people out.

    The End. :)
    Melanie said...
    I am not having my kids get the shot either. I am like Renee with the gut thing. I just don't know enough about it yet and just don't have a good feeling about giving it to my kids.

    I am just going to try and make sure if they are coming down with something to give them lots of Vitamin C, and Airbourne.

    By the way I haven't talked to you FOREVER!! We need to talk soon. :0)
    Carolyn said...
    My OB said she doesn't want me flying this flu season unless I get the vaccine. When I asked my husband (an md) if he thinks we should all get vaccinated, he said yes, which I was surprised because he usually isn't into that sort of thing. We all got the regular flu shot when it was available. And I wasn't really worried about the swine flu yet... until it started spreading among the ward children! I got "sick" first, but I don't know if it was swine flu, although I pretty would say it was. I called my ob and over the phone they prescribed me tamiflu and said to monitor my temperature. Being sick was awful, but I have asthma, plus preggers. I think it hits those who are compromised the worse. The girls finally got it too, and it wasn't fun, but not as bad as I got it. I never brought them to the doctor, just monitored their fevers. We put my two year old on tamiflu and that really helped. My four year old couldn't be on it because her flu shot was the inhaled kind which is a live virus. Anyhoo...

    I do think the media blows everything out of proportion. But I do think this is a bad flu season. We all had "something' and survived it just wasn't fun. I don't think this will be the last time something like this happens in our lifetime.

    I don't know about closing places down because of it. I wish people were just more cautious and considerate of how it spreads. Oh well. Good Luck!
    Emily said...
    If I can be vaccinated I will--the rate of pregnant women who die is a little alarming. I'll get my boys vaccinated too, if I can.

    I don't know enough to know if the severity is exaggerated, but I'm doing the regular things: washing hands, sanitizer after school/church/playing, etc. If I hear of someone with swine flu I'll stay away. That's about it really.
    Jessica said...
    I am 100% NOT letting my kiddos get the shot. There is one ingre. that can cause inflamation to your organs. That's all my boy needs, right?

    My super freeky percautions...

    1)if you have had the nasal H1N1 vacc you are not allowed in my house for the next 2 weeks!

    (the nasal form is a live vacc, which means there is still a slight possibility that you may share some of the live bugs with others, thus children under age 2 and sick people may not receive it either)

    2) I totally quit my job at LT trying to dodge the icky bug

    3)Jonah will wear a mask if he has to go to the Hosp, or dr apts.

    4)Jonah is corintined to our house, unless #3 arises.

    5)after my husband returns from work he will need to scrub down before making contact with any of us.

    H1N1 in general is more dangerous for those who have respiratory problems or chronic illness. for most others its just a really awful flu that makes you feel gross.
    Jagged Rocks said...
    Here is a little unknown fact about the swine flu, the first reported cases were in 1918. I think that yes the swine flu is more dangerous then the regular flu. I don't think that everyone should get freaked out about it. I will only get the shot if my doctor tells me I need to due to my pregnancy. Kraig probably won't get it, he doesn't deal with very many people on a regular basis. I am going to just make sure to wash my hand, try not shaking others peoples hands often (do you know how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, gross!!), and I will probably be mainly a home body for the rest of my pregnancy (if I can handle that).
    J Fo said...
    You opened up a can of worms here!

    I'm torn. I was listening to a discussion about this on NPR this morning and they were saying that the h1n1 vaccine is made just the same and is just as safe as the seasonal flu vaccine. My sister and her kids got it and it was just a miserable flu. Greg and I are not in a high risk group, (respiratory issues, where we work...), but I am not sure about getting it for Emmy. I'm leaning towards getting it for at least Emmy and me, but we'll see.
    RACHELLE said...
    I FEEL LIKE I'M GONNA HAVE TO SAY NO ON THE VACCINATION.....

    I DON'T FEEL REAL GOOD ABOUT THE REQUIRED ONES THAT CHILDREN HAVE TO GET....

    I CANT FORCE THIS INN TO THEIR SYSTEMS TOO AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT.

    I AM LEAVING IT IN THE LORDS HANDS...

    HOPEFULLY WE CAN JUST BE HANDWASHING FOOLS AND SAY NO TO PLAYDATES WITH SICK KIDS..AND THAT IS ABOUT THE EXTENT OF MY PRECAUTIONS...
    Jenny said...
    No on the swine flu vaccine- too risky and my Dr. said she's not getting it for her kids. Yes on the regular flu shot though...if I can find it. Lots of hand washing and praying. :)
    Boquinha said...
    What were the questions again? Just kidding.

    A little scared.

    Not doing the vaccine.

    Closing down organizations as a precaution? Good. Even if it's overblown, it's time off!

    Media hype? A little. I really liked the 60 minutes clip from this past Sunday--it was balanced and informative.

    Usual precautions, plus being more homebody-ish than usual. :) We've had people in our hs group who have had it, so we've stayed away from them. They've been good about staying home, too.

    How's that?
    Stacy Holmes said...
    In me, true devils-advocate style--MY KIDS GOT THE VACCINE! Let it be written that my kids were vaccinated. When the cards are all laid out at the end of this thing, you will know if you, or I, made the right decision. The End

Post a Comment