6.4.09


This morning we were blessed with a visit from Mr. Leonardo da Vinci himself. He came all the way from the 1400's to teach us a little bit about himself. He even brought one of his journals to show us. It was pretty cool. Full of good information and cool pictures. The one thing that surprised me to the most was how similar he was to Kaden. No wonder Kade chose him to study.

Here are some things we learned:

* He kept over 46,000 pages of journaling and he would always write backwards. They used to think it was to keep things secret, but the truth is it was just easier for him to write that way. He was a lefty and backwards was better than forwards, just like Kaden.

* He started over 60 paintings, but only finished a few. He was easily discouraged and distracted. Hmmm.... sounds like someone else I know....

* He came up with tons of crazy ideas and inventions. Some are still used today, but others were totally out there and would have never worked. His thinking was way ahead of his day.

* He would paint to make people mad. He was a total non-conformist. They would ask for one thing, and he would do another. They would be his own ideas and his own take on things, totally breaking the norm. Again, sounds like someone I know and love....

Thanks Leonardo!

3 Comments:

  1. Stacy Holmes said...
    I hope Kaden doesn't start writing backwards all the time! That would drive a whole bunch of people nuts!
    wonderwoman1975 said...
    Love that picture with the look in his eyes. "I'm Leonardo. . . WHO are you?" Backwards writing? I can't quite wrap my brain around that - I'm thinking so your hand doesn't smudge the writing? Crazy Italians.
    Boquinha said...
    Awesome costume!! We love studying artists (it's the art history nerd in me). For our research on Leonardo, we watched that Animated Heroes (or whatever it's called) video on Leonardo. It was really good. Highly recommend it!

Post a Comment