28.4.09

Does anyone have a child that is different? Not just different in liking strawberry milk best when everyone else likes chocolate, I mean different in the most obvious and often painful sense. The kind of different where a mom wants to open her heart and let her child climb inside where he will be safe and loved, where life is easy no one will tease or hurt them. That kind of different.

My oldest just turned 9. I cannot believe he is that old. Where did the time go? He is an amazing person. So smart and funny, so sweet and caring, so creative and bright. But he also struggles with ADHD and Asperger Syndrome. It can make life a little bumpy. He has a tough time keeping his thoughts, both good and bad, to himself. He has a tough time hanging on to friends. He has a tough time remembering how much space a person needs or how much people don't like to be constantly interrupted, or that a loud voice isn't the best way to communicate. He wants to fit in and be "cool," but it's rough. It's rough for him and it's rough for me.
As a mother, I struggle everyday with what is best. Public school or home school. Medication or not? Art lessons or Karate lessons. Labeling him or letting him find his way on his own. Do I talk to his teachers and risk having him branded as "different" before the year has even begun, or do I let them come to me with concerns and then slowly fill them in on a need to know basis. Do I tell my neighbors and friends? Do I ask for a little extra tolerance from his primary teachers and cub scout leaders? Do I shield him from the evil of this world until he is more mature and ready to take them on or do I let him learn these lessons now?
Sometimes I want to hang a sign around his neck that says "be nice to me, I am a work in progress, but I will get there." He is learning and growing. He is getting more and more comfortable with himself and social situations, but it is a slow process. There will be lost of ups and downs along the way. He is different in many ways, but the one place he is exactly the same as any other person on this earth is he wants to love and be loved. He wants to play and have fun with friends, he wants to be accepted.
As mothers, we have the biggest influence on how our children will view the world. Thank you to those who have taught lessons of not only tolerance, but acceptance to your children. Small things are worth so much in today's world of ugliness. We are so lucky to live in an era where tolerance and respect are not only expected, but required. Looking to the past for examples on how those who were different were treated can be shocking.
I know my son will grow to become a wonderful person. He has a brilliant mind and a caring heart. I know he will face great challenges along the way, but I do believe they will only make him stronger. I also know he will teach me so much more than I could ever teach him. Thanks to family and friends who help make this road a little smoother. Thanks to understanding teachers and leaders who take him under their wing and help him learn to fly. Thanks to those who listen to me cry and complain when it has been an unusually hard day. And most of all, thanks to my son for teaching me so much and helping all of us grow a little every day.

18 Comments:

  1. Stacy Holmes said...
    Oh Jill-
    You are one of those "elect" ladies. I admire you in so many ways! I know I am usually crass in my comments, but today I am being sincere!
    I love that you are able to put your feelings aside and stand up for your kiddos. If you didn't do it, no one would..and you rise to the occasion. I think your 9 year old will praise your name forever (once he understands how much you have done for him)
    You are my best friend and a wonderful example to me..and, I like your kids too!
    Melissa E said...
    Believe me I feel for you on this one. Jasmine rarely tells me that someone is picking on her, but has had a few problems and she has told my sister (aren't aunts great?) that more kids at her new school have picked on her then at her old school. I'm seriously considering home schooling myself, mostly because she does miss so much for surgeries. And honestly I'd love to be able to give you some fab advice of how I've handled it with her but unfortunately there isn't any quick fix great solution best way to handle it. I think each situation has to be taken on an individual basis and worked from there. But I do know that knowing other moms feel the same way helps me a lot, and just being able to say it sucks helps a lot too, especially since there's not too much more we can do.
    Jill said...
    My heart hurts for you and Kaden. It's SO hard to watch our kids suffer. Especially when we have so much love and tenderness for them. When my kids are hurting, it teaches me about the love Heavenly Father has for me. I can't imagine the sacrifice it was for him to let his Son be so mistreated. I know we can't protect our kids from the crappy parts of life, but we can show them tons of love and acceptance in our homes. He is lucky to have such a caring family. He will be great and so will you!!
    stacey said...
    What a beautiful post. Your son sounds like an amazing boy, and is so lucky to have you and Kent for parents. I don't think anything prepares you for how much you will love these precious children that we are so lucky to be parents too. I am blessed to not have to deal with these types of issues, but wanting your child to be loved and fit in is a worry that we as parents ALL have. If I can every help you please do not hesitate to ask.
    Jenny said...
    My heart hurts for you too. There is NOTHING worse than to see your child suffer in any way. You are staying strong though! Think how boring this world would be without the Kaden's though. He has so much to offer and I wouldn't even say he's "different" just unique!!! He IS going to turn out to be an amazing person, thanks to his wonderful mother :)
    Jaz said...
    I love parents who are honest about parenting. I think it helps us all to know that we're not the only one with struggles, and I think it ties people together when we know each other's strengths & weaknesses.

    I read a comment from a mother of an autistic child who said "We all have our own rocks to carry in life, so don't judge how heavy someone else's backpack is to yours" (total paraphrase), but it made me want to make a shirt that said "Carry your own rocks." just to remind us of one of my most core beliefs: every child is sent to the family (however they may receive them) that is the very best for that child.

    So know that whatever choices you make for him will be the best b/c you are the best judge of what he needs.
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Keith, April, Luke and Megan love having Kade at our house.

    Sorry you are having a bad day. I hope you feel better soon.
    Alison said...
    Ahhh Jill, You know I have always admired you parenting style. I think you are one of the best parents I know and you are a great example to me of what kind of Mom I want to be. I love that you are sharing your feelings, I learn so much from you and am so glad I have someone to talk to about by 'different' little one. Kade is amazing and I love him and you very much.
    Gary and Debbie Rex said...
    Jill, what an amazing woman you are. Thank you for sharing your heart - your love for your children is a priceless gift to them and to you. How many in the world never get to experience love like that... Even though I know I cannot put my children into the protective habitat that I SO want to, I know that helping them to feel the incredible love we have for them (and the love their Heavenly Father and Savior have for them) will nourish their spirits with strength and joy. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful gift with words!
    Boquinha said...
    Jill, I love real posts. Not fluff, but real, honest, (at times gut-wrenching), authentic posts. That's one of the things I love about you.

    What a struggle. The tears and ache you must deal with. Kade is so very lucky to have you, and you him. How I wish you guys lived closer. He (and all of you) would be welcomed with open arms to our homeschool group. ;) We have a few Kades in our group and the kids are great with them . . . acceptance is huge around here.

    Thank you for sharing such realness with us. I love talking with you and anytime you want to chat, you know where to find me. ;)
    Emily said...
    Oooh! So hard. I have a niece with autism and a nephew with aspberger syndrome, and I know it's a struggle for my brother and sister-in-law every day. My nephew is 8 and has lots of those same struggles. When he started tae kwon do my sister-in-law didn't tell the teacher, but when he fell behind and got in trouble, it always made my sister-in-law cry. but he caught up and they still don't know and it's been 3 years now! I don't know the right answers, but I have an idea of how hard it is through interactions with my family. He's so lucky to have you as a mom.
    Stacy Holmes said...
    PakKaramu huh?? Whazzup with that???
    Jillo said...
    I don't know who PakKaramu is and that kinda freaks me out a little.

    Thank you so much ladies for your kind words. It really does help a ton knowing that you have friends out there who support you. I have loved reading all your comments.
    Sarah E said...
    I'm still the slowest on reading blogs these days, but I'm glad I made the time to read yours today.
    When you see your sweet baby continually bashing his/her head against a wall and making choices you don’t understand, it hurts your heart. When you know that nothing you can say or do can make them change; when you see them standing alone in the crowd, when other's impatience and lack of understanding seems unnecessarily cruel: these are the hardest times to be a mom. But these are the days when we’re needed the most. I believe that our strength and understanding, although sometimes hard to muster, are the foundations of a good self esteem and a happy and productive child. One day you can look back and say, “We survived that too.”
    Melissa said...
    I've heard a saying that rings very true when talking about your children. It goes, "Having kids is forever deciding to have your heart walk around outside your body." It hurts when they hurt, it's frustrating when they are frustrated, and no matter what challenges your kids face, you face them right by their side. You are strong and loving and your kids are very lucky to have you as their mom.
    Kristi said...
    That was an amazing post! My heart goes out to you and your family! While I can't relate to asperger syndrome, I can relate to ADHD. My 5 yr old is ADHD and that alone is a struggle. It is hard to watch your child struggle, always be in trouble and fell like he had no control. My hubby was also diagnosed with ADHD as a child and the pain he still carries with him from the way his teachers and fellow students treated are still with him today. While I know alot of people don't agree, we did decide to medicate my son so that he didn't have to grow up feeling like he was always in trouble and a bad kid. What a difference. I didn't even tell his teacher at first. She was the one to comment to me the difference in class. If you ever want to talk about it, I am willing to share our experience with ADHD. But in the mean time, know that you are loved, and being blessed for the wonderful mom you must be. Heavenly Father knows what we can and can't do and is watching over all!
    Jagged Rocks said...
    I am amazed at how much you do for your kids everyday. I wonder everyday, if when we have kids I will be able to handle everything that gets thrown at us. Watching you at least gives me the hope that I can do it. You are so strong, and such a wonderful mom. Kaden is also such a sweet kid, I wish I could help with your problem, but I have never been there, and I have no clue what would be work for him.
    We love you guys!
    Boquinha said...
    I recently read an interesting article about a study on ADHD that was surprising. Our son doesn't have ADHD, but, as a little boy, he can be very wiggly when we learn and do things. We're finding that instead of insisting he sit down and be quiet (and fit some traditional mold), it works better if we have him hold something in his hand to play with--a small stuffed animal, a pencil, whatever, while we learn/study/talk. That article made me consider that idea and it works!

Post a Comment