12.3.09
Yesterday morning, my friend brought me the three boxes of Girl Scout Cookies I had ordered from her adorable (how could I possibly say no???) daughter. I set the boxes on top of my fridge with the plan of enjoying a few here and there for the next couple of weeks. Moderation in all things, right?
Um.... today there is one box left!
Somehow we have flown through two whole boxes of Thin Mints in LESS than 24 hours! Granted, there are 6 of us. And the one year old did somehow manage to work her way through half a sleeve before anyone noticed, let me tell you how much fun that diaper is going to be.
BUT STILL!
I would love to say my kids found them and ate them all, but that would be a big, fat lie.
I ate most of them *GASP* all by myself!.
and....
I blame it on genetics.
Growing up, my mom was a world class hoarder of all things sweet. It was not uncommon to find week old brownies wrapped in baggies, back in the far reaches of the freezer. Every mom knows that a little bit of chocolate can do wonders when you are having "one of those days." What better way to secure your chocolate fix then by stashing it away where no one else can see? Especially when you have a house full of ravenous children.
I get that.
My four kids can plow through an entire batch of cookies before I have even washed the mixing bowl. It can be a little frustrating.
But here's where the trouble lies.
With my cookies sitting on top of the fridge staring at me, the urge to hurry and eat as many as I can before my kids come home starts to sing my name.
This can be traced back to childhood and frozen, week old brownies.
You snoozed, you loosed, eh?
So I hide them. (Yup, sometimes even in the freezer.) If no one even knows they exist in the first place, future cookie cravings are secure.
Then the war begins.
With cookies safely hidden, I go about my business until one half of my brain begins chanting EAT THEM! EAT THEM! EAT THEM!
And one half, HIDE THEM! HIDE THEM! HIDE THEM!
Can you guess which side usually wins?
One cookie at a time.
And no one else can have any because they don't know where they are.
It's all me, baby.
To be fair, I did send a few in lunches today.
And I did break some out after dinner last night.
But when I caught Little Lucy chugging cookies, I had to chuckle.
Looks like the internal, genetic chocolate war has snagged another victim.
But I found out last April that chocolate gives me migraines & no longer agrees with my belly. So after keeping the knife away from my throat (not quite but close), I used it to cut the chocolate bottom off of some samoas!!! Victory!