16.12.08
Last Saturday was a special day..... Santa came to visit! This visit is extra special because he brings REAL toys, (not just some lame candy cane, to quote my ever articulate 8 year old.)
First of all, I can't believe his feet almost touch the floor. Where did my baby go? Second, what 8 year old wants to sit on someones lap? Notice where his eyes are focused. I am sure this mantra is running through his head, "just keep your eyes on the prize...... eyes on the prize....." We had to have "the big Santa talk" with Kade this year. It broke my heart to do it, but he was asking too many questions, I felt like I was lying to cover lies. He didn't take it well. Poor guy cried and cried until we told him that even though Santa is not a person, he is still real and if you don't believe, you won't get any presents. That seemed to help. It's tough to grow up.


Wes is also at a really great age, but he still isn't 100% sure what is going on. All he knows is he sits on this strange dudes lap to earn a present. He knows that Santa is coming to our house and will bring us presents, but he doesn't really get the whole asking thing. His requests change almost daily. Currently he wants a brave, white dog that is really alive to be friends with Nora (our current, not so brave and not so white dog) and save "all the days." You never know what he will ask for, but this particular wish keeps popping back in. It is what he told Santa he wanted at the party. Santa said, "we'll see."

Lucy won't even sit on her uncles laps, little own a jolly, fat man with a huge white beard. We did not expect her to love Santa and she proved true to form. She was nervous the minute he walked in the room. When it was her turn, I, the mean mommy, made her sit there screaming so I could snag a few photos. Someday she will laugh at this picture, but today is not that day. We hoped that she would be a little more impressed after she opened her present...... 
She wasn't. Soon the words Santa and Christmas will send shivers of anticipation and delight down her spine, but like I said, today is not that day.
All in all a great day. I love watching my kids enjoy the same traditions I did when I was younger. Christmas seems to have a stronghold on all the good stuff and it is a great time of year to be a parent and enjoy your children.
7 Comments:
-
- Boquinha said...
December 16, 2008 at 2:47 PMAwesome post!! LOVE the different reactions, your writing, etc. Thanks for sharing! Also, got your BEAUTIFUL Christmas card today--thank you! So far you guys and Doug and Jenny's family are on our fridge! :) Merry Christmas! I'm so happy to have you as a cousin-in-law and friend. Whenever I think of you, I smile.- Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
December 16, 2008 at 5:18 PMOh SANTA! Lucy's expression with the present is killing me. Too funny that you captured that expression. Cute post.- Melissa E said...
December 16, 2008 at 6:18 PMOh my, I laughed so hard out loud my kids came running into the room to see why I was laughing! The picture of Lucy is the best. I haven't had to have "the Santa Talk" with Jasmine yet which really surprises me, she is 9 after all, but I'm not about to bring it up myself at least for another year . . .- Sarah E said...
December 16, 2008 at 8:43 PMLooks like you guys had some good 'ol fashioned Griffis Family Fun. Too bad we missed it. ;) I do love the look on Lucy's face. It reminds me a little bit of what we must have looked like the year we all got blankets. (love ya dad) So cute!- Emily said...
December 16, 2008 at 9:39 PMI've gotta say, I almost didn't want to do the Santa thing with my kids because I felt so bad about lying to them. But my sister did a neat thing with her kids. When they got old enough to have "the talk", they got to stay up late and help put together the presents and set them out while all the other kids had to go to bed. They all talk about it like it was the greatest night EVER. Kind of a nice way to make something not so great into a wonderful memory.- stacey said...
December 18, 2008 at 7:05 AMLeah screamed her head off this year too with santa. I guess I would to, if my parents put me on the lap of some strange guy when all you can see are 2 little eyes :)- Andrea said...
December 18, 2008 at 2:26 PMMy kids still won't sit on Santa's lap (except the baby, who doesn't have stranger anxiety yet.) I don't think we have ANY pictures with Santa.