6.11.08
Generally, I do not like to blog about politics or religion because I know they are very personal and sensitive subjects. But today I want to talk about both. I am Mormon. Naturally, this makes me somewhat more conservative than others. I don't mind. I like the clarity it brings, less grey areas to figure out. I like knowing before hand how I feel about certain things, I know I won't drink, I know I won't do drugs, I know I won't have an affair or steal or murder. Those things are not of interest to me, and I like that. However, just because I am Mormon does not mean that all my thoughts and ideas are already set in stone. I like to think that I have an open mind about things that really matter. I like to think I can view the situation from another's perspective and I like to be able to reason "outside the box." I do not embrace other people's opinions as my own, I like to try and think for myself. And if it should be that what I think isn't what everyone else thinks, I am okay with that. As long as I am true to myself, I honestly believe I am on the right track.
This election has brought about so many negative feelings for our new president. Everything from mild annoyance to downright hate. I feel that this is exceptionally strong among the Mormon community and I don't like it. It eats at me. Truthfully, it scares me.
I love our government. I love the two party system, the congress, the senate, the executive office. I think it works. If I had to commit to a party, I honestly don't know if I could. Both sides have good and both sides have bad. That is where my brain comes in. I believe in research. I believe in finding out for yourself who you support based on what is being said and done by the candidates. I will never vote one way or the other based solely on title. I think with this election, the better man won. That does not mean that I hate McCain, that does not mean that I love Obama. It means that I used my head and my heart, made a decision that I feel good about, and was happy with the ending results.
Here is what bothers me the most. I do not think it is fair to throw in the towel and lick your wounds because the person you didn't like, won. What good does sitting around complaining about how bad things are going to get accomplish? If all of America did that, where would we be? Our country is great not because of one man or one idea but from thousands of voices, working together to find the best way. Get involved! Get educated! Find your voice! Get out there and help your community! If you don't like something, stand up and say so, don't just point fingers and call names. That never solves anything.
Do I feel like Obama will come riding up on his white horse and save our nation? Not really. But I love that he has an open mind. I love his passion and his confidence. I love that he relates to a younger generation. I love that he is breaking down the racial barrier. I love that he is willing to try and make things better by giving our country his heart and soul. I do not have to love him to respect him and what he is trying to do.
This has been an amazing part of history that we have all lived through. What happens next is up to us. President Hinkley stated "If you are complaining about life, it is because you are thinking only about yourself." Nothing dulls a personality more than negativity. Didn't he encourage us over and over to find the joy in our lives? Another of my favorite quotes is "A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?" --Winnie Dalley"
Sorry for the rant, I just couldn't hold it in anymore. Life if good, people! We all have voices, use them! Fight for what you believe, no matter what the "norm" may be.
I think you are a great example of fighting for your kids. You are their voice in school, church and in life. You have stood up for them, even when it was very hard for you to do. If you didn't do it, who would? You are shaping the future one parent teacher conference at a time!
Good on ya, Mum!
My belief in hope and change and optimism propels me to action. Rolling my eyes and sighing would weigh me down to my chair with cynicism and inaction. I'm THRILLED that I feel so good and I want to ride this wave. I'm so excited to have a cousin-in-law and friend who isn't afraid to ride it with me.
I've been reading your blog from my sister Stacy's Oaks blog :). And I just have to say Thank You!! That was great and I'be been feeling the exact same way, so it totally made my day to read this.
Shauna