19.11.08

I hate feeding a one year old.
Anyone else have this problem?
No more bottles = no more formula so I freak out a little about making sure they get the proper nutrition.
But come on.... who actually eats all the fruit and veggies they are supposed to every day? (if right now, you are thinking, "I do!" don't tell me. It will only depress me a little.)
Lucy won't eat baby food any more. She looks at me like, "seriously???" when I offer.
It's a struggle.
Take today for example.
She can't eat cold cereal like the rest of us, and I have no time to cook her an egg. (I do anyway, but by then she doesn't want it, she wants to play. Egg goes to the dog, Lucy goes without breakfast.)
Lunch is peanut butter and honey, both baby no no's.
I reheat some rice and squash from last nights dinner, but more lands on the floor than in her tummy. I can't blame her, who really wants leftover squash for lunch?
Dinner is a bit easier, but only when I take the time to cook. On no-cook nights, pizza and McDonald's are out of the question. Spaghetti Oh's and Mac' N Cheese aren't really a food group.
Toast and yogurt it is.
Sigh......
I think I am ruining her.
One little girl can't live on cereal bars and string cheese alone, can she?

10 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    sure she can. that's all isaac has eaten for 3 1/2 years now. isaac didn't get teeth 'til he was 15 months old so i really struggled trying to find foods for him. yogurt and toast mostly, and that's still mostly what he eats.

    noah was never a problem. he ate anything and everything i put in front of him (tomatoes, salad, ANYTHING). i really appreciated him after isaac.
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Do you have one of those baby food hand grinders? You just plop the food in the grinder and the kid can eat anything..if you want one I have one..
    Melanie said...
    I feel your pain. Lately I have just been giving Will everything we eat. Taco, Pizza, Salad, Spaghetti. I either grind it with the Magic Bullet, or just hand feed him pieces I know hand feeding is a pain in the butt, but I feel like he is getting more nutrients.

    I also feel like when my other kids were one I totally messed them up by just giving them bland food. So with Will I am trying to make sure I give him food with flavor and a variety.

    I also cook a bunch of veggies at a time and just refrigerate them so they are handy and so I don't have to cook them every day.

    I also give my kids Veggie & Fruit gummies. It has your daily amount recommended in them. Also Very Handy.

    Good Luck
    J Fo said...
    This makes me feel a lot better! I think that Emmy and Lucy are only a few weeks apart, right? Well, all I can get her to eat lately is cheese, bread, water...she sounds like a prisoner huh? Well, she's still growing and I think that what matters!
    Melissa said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Melissa said...
    On saturday I make a bunch of blueberry pancakes and put them in the freezer. I warm them in the microwave for a few seconds. Cut them into bite size pieces. Savannah will eat them without anything on them. If i make pasta I just cut hers into smaller pieces and give her those with some of the same sauce we have. My other kids loved to dip things. So I would make avocado dip or red pepper dip with small veggies. I also have roasted veggies, let them cool, puree them with some cream cheese and use it on wheat bread for a sandwich. Actually honey should be okay after one year, unless you doc. said no, and I am out of the medical loop. Couscous is good. Those are some of my kids favorites. Hope it helps.
    Jillo said...
    THANK YOU GUYS! These are all totally fabulous suggestions. I love the idea of mixing veggies with cream cheese and putting it on toast. So great.

    As for honey, we eat raw, unpasturized honey, so they can't have it until they are 2. At least that is what my peditrition said. Anyone heard different?

    Stacy, can you grind anything in your handy little grinder? If so, then I do want to borrow it if you will let me.
    Boquinha said...
    Hey, we eat raw honey, too! Go figure! :P

    Our kids haven't ever been big fans of baby food and I can't say that I blame them. We've always stuck whatever we're having in the blender/food processor and grind it so that it's got some consistentcy (not pureed) and the kids have always loved it. Maxim balked at baby food but has always reached for and squawked for our food--he started eating little bits of pork chops at like 5 months old followed by bean burritos at 6 months old. I kid you not. And we don't shelter them from A LOT of variety and spice--we put everything in front of them and never say, "I don't think you'll like this" (why do parents do that?). Thankfully, they're not picky eaters and eat most anything. I can't think of a single thing Kate doesn't eat (her favorite being raw sushi) and M is a bit pickier but from stories I've heard, I can't complain--he's really not that picky at all (just compared to Kate, ANYONE is picky). :P So, I say give Lucy whatever you're eating--chilli, pizza, enchiladas, hummus, veggies, soup, whatever. Plus it's easier for you, too. Bonus. Maybe that girl wants a good burger! :P
    Melissa said...
    Yes you are very right about the raw honey thing. If it is pastuerized it is usually fine after one year old. IF you need any more ideas, I have a ton! Just e mail me.
    stacey said...
    The baby food grider is awesome I put our entire dinner in it and Leah will eat everythig. Good Luck I know exactly how you feel!

Post a Comment