14.10.08
This letter is in answer to this challenge. Thanks for the totally fun idea Jessica!
Dear Neil Diamond,
When I think of you, I always think of Christmas. Well, rather the few days after Christmas that you spend taking down all of the Holiday decor and packing it away until next year. You will forever be a part of my childhood Christmas dreams.
You see, my dad loved you. He seemed to grab your energy and put it to use doing chores around the house. We always got a live Christmas tree and the poor things would meet their demise with the tune of "Their Coming to America" or "Forever in Blue Jeans" sounding from the record player. My sisters and I, dressed in our fanciest nightgowns, would gather around and dance while my dad chopped the trees branches and tossed them into the popping fire. Our bouncing and jumping would sometimes make the needle skip and my dad would always give us the evil eye. We didn't care. We were beautiful princesses dancing at a royal ball.
After the tree was gone and all the decoration packed, we would push the couches to the side of the room to make a big dance hall. "Longfellow Serenade" would come on and this time my dad would join in the dancing. His long legs flying across our living room floor always made me think the song was written just for him. He was Mr. Longfellow. My mom would sing along with you in her soprano voice to "September Morn" while we all danced and danced. When it would get too hot from the fire and the dancing, my dad would prop the door open to let in the cold, winter air. The smell of crisp winter air, combined with the burning pine tree is still one of my favorite smells.
So thank you, Neil Diamond, for those magical post Christmas days. You would unite our little family in dancing, singing and working together. My dad would share something he loved with us and in return, we have the wonderful memories of being together, laughing and celebrating while sharing our love with him.
Jill
Comin' up from the street
Got a beautiful sound
It's got a beautiful beat"
Good times!
Have some morals Neil!
Jill! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! It makes me happy. I totally remember this fine time in our little lives. And am happy you are sharing it with the world. I would like the record to state that I was the proud owner of the bright pink toto (spelled?) thank you very much! I wore it with love. Thanks for being such a great sister.
SUCH a fun post. But now I have:
TODAY! My country 'tis of thee.
TODAY! Sweet land of liberty.
TODAY! Of thee I sing.
TODAY! Of thee I SING!! TODAY!
in my head. Thanks a lot. :P