11.7.08

When I was a kid, one of our families favorite activities was to pop a big bowl of popcorn, each grab a tall glass of milk, (milk and popcorn go together like a dream folk, you should try it!) and settle down to watch "Faerie Tale Theater" or "The Wonderful World of Disney" or when we were a little bit older, "Star Treck" My whole family would watch together. I have the best memories of being crammed on a couch with my sisters and my mom and dad, watching the t.v. and hoping no one spilled their milk. Of course, someone always did and my parents would have to clean it up, grumbling the whole time. All part of the experience.
I have all sisters and we loved and I mean LOVED Faerie Tale Theater. When it would come on, after our chant of "please let it be one we haven't seen before.... please let it be one we haven't seen before....." we would be glued from start to finish, re-run or not. Our favorites were "The Nightingale" and "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." Seriously good stuff. Even my dad seemed to enjoy watching them, although looking back I suspect he did it because he loved us and not Shelley Duvall.
This tradition has lived on with my own little family with two exceptions. Number 1- I don't allow milk in the family room. My parents were a bit more free spirited than Kent and me. And number 2- You can't find good shows like that on t.v. anymore. They have all deteriorated in quality and cleanliness. We usually stick to movies instead. Still, we have just as much fun as we did when I was a kid. I like to think we are creating memories for them to hold on to when they are grown and we are gone.
So, the next time you are bored as a family and have no $$$ to speak of, whip up some popcorn and go rent a movie. Our family favorites are anything by Hayao Miyazaki or the classic 80's like Ghost Busters and Gremlins. You can also rent all the Faerie Tale Theaters. ;)

Anyone else have any good family flicks or t.v shows? Let me know! We are always up for some new ideas.

8 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    Gremlins is too scary! :)

    What a fun idea. I remember watching Star Trek with my brother...he was in high school and I was little and I would lay by him on his bed and we would watch it together. I never stayed awake the whole time, but I loved it. I don't remember Faerie Tale Theater?
    Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
    Jill,
    We do the popcorn and movie thing all the time. Especially in winter when nobody wants to leave the house(we have an extensive movie collection). We love anything Disney. Mike prefers it to be non cartoon unless it is the incredibles or something semi-Manly!(So no princess ones as family movie night.) We also love Cheaper by the dozen 1&2, RV, The sandlot,snd secondhand lions. And a little more questionable for little ones but, my kids love them-My big fat greek wedding, 13 going on 30, School of rock, Big Daddy, and 50 first dates. I now bad parenting award goes to the the Iacobazzi's. It is still really fun.
    Mike B said...
    We do the same thing, but we watch home videos. My daughters LOVE anything they are the star of! It's fun to see how everyone changes throughout the years. My girls think of themselves as quite hilarious. Sometimes we even get to watch videos of when I was little!

    Oh, I was hoping you would include the bloody popcorn story in this trip down memorie lane...you know, the one when your mom turned you all into unknowing vampires!! lol
    Mike B said...
    sorry that comment was from Jill B...not Mike B. I forgot I was on his computer!
    Melissa said...
    My kids love anything on the discovery channel. We were very sad when they took off Meerkat manor, They also love planet earth, which you can now get at walmart. I wish I could get my kids to appreciate some of the old black and white movies like shirley temple, I used to like them when I was little.
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    You need to take your boys to see Speed Racer. I took Luke last night and he LOVED IT!! It's in the dollar theater now. I really liked what I saw but couldn't stay awake because I had a long day in the sun. It's a different type of movie for sure but I loved the artistic qualities of the movie and Luke loved the "speed racing". We were especially excited to see it because we LOVE LOVE LOVE this song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_vJlADxbv4U
    Sarah E said...
    Cute post. How can it be that something so simple can bring so much joy? Don't forget to add a bowl of whipped-up ice cream to the movie time treat list. I hope Kent's the willing stirrer that dad was. I really want to find Farie Tale Theater for my girls. They would love it. Sing sweet nightengale. Sing sweet nightengale.
    Boquinha said...
    Fun!

    You know, I'm NOT a Barbie fan at all, but I have to say that the new Barbie movies are really phenomenal. They're classy and not at all what we've come to know as "Barbie-ish." Girls AND boys enjoy them and watch them again and again. They have 12 Dancing Princesses, Swan Lake, Princess and the Pauper, Rapunzel, etc. They're very good!! I promise!

Post a Comment