23.6.08

How come it is when your husband is home, all rules and regulations fly out the window??? There are dirty cloths all over my bathrooms that I never even thought to make someone pick up. There is a HUGE mountain of dishes in my sink stinking up my kitchen. And nobody has made a bed in over 10 days! Why do we do this to ourselves? Now that Kent is back to work, I am left with the Herculean task of cleaning up the party. Why didn't I make every help me when they were all still home?

I will never know.

What I do know is that along with the house going to pot without a second thought, it seems our checkbook hitched a ride to "who cares, we are on vacation" land as well and now I have to be on a super tight budget for the next few days. (Like 10!) and we have NO food in our house.

Again, why do we do this to ourselves? (or rather why do I do this to myself. Maybe you are all more responsible than I am, and if you are, I commend you.)

So who has some good and CHEAP dinner ideas? What do you whip out at the last minute when you are in a crunch? We can't eat butter noodles and grilled cheese every night, but does anyone know any good variations on these staples?

Sigh......

10 Comments:

  1. Boquinha said...
    Oh dear, so even the staycations cost. That's depressing.

    Try some noodles with brown butter. Brown butter is an Amish way of making it and it's YUMMY! It makes the noodles stupendous! You can even mix in some sour cream if you want it creamy . . .
    Jillo said...
    That sounds really good and totally up our ally. Where do you buy brown butter? Can us Westeners get it>
    Sarah E said...
    Long live a box of $0.89 four cheese rice-a-roni!
    Emily said...
    ramen with some 1/2 package of stir-fried chicken, veggies, and soy or teriyaki sauce (or no chicken, to go cheaper). tuna casserole, spaghetti...

    we have that same problem. got back from disneyland and gasped out loud when we saw our credit card bill (and the hotel and park tickets were paid for in march!).
    Boquinha said...
    It's easy.

    Brown Butter Recipe

    Melt butter slowly. Allow it to brown until it is almost black (but don't let it burn). Pour over noodles, mashed potatoes, etc. That's it!

    What's amazing is how GOOD it tastes for being so simple! Go Amish tonight! ;)
    Glenna Roundy said...
    Well, since I heeded your dad's advice we now have hot dogs and buns and macaroni and cheese in stock here at my house.
    Jill said...
    LOL Jill! You sound just like me when Mike is home! As far as cheap dinners, here are a few we pull out when the budget is tight:
    Egg salad sandwiches, pancakes, cold cereal, and my favorite...EAT AT YOUR In-LAWS! :-)
    Jillo said...
    I do love the eat at your in-laws option. Tonight was a free dinner at my sisters house because it was her kiddos birthday. Gotta love that!
    The Bell Family said...
    I so hear you on that when the hubby is home all thing go out the window. I've heard you can do all sorts of things with Mac and Cheese so maybe try that out.
    Neisha said...
    This might be a little late, but my kids love Pancakes, and they will all eat them. I make tons, and we throw the leftovers in the freezer. Then my kids just get them out and throw them in the Microwave when they need a snack. Sometimes we throw some type of fruit on them to make them a little more healthy.

    Good Luck
    Neisha

Post a Comment