25.6.08

A few days ago I found out someone I had known in high school passed away. I haven't seen him since graduation and we weren't ever really good friends, but I knew him a little, our circles would cross. He dated some of my friends, we are in a bunch of the same dance pictures.

He actually died a little less than a year ago. I am not sure how or why. I didn't know him well enough to warrant missing him and yet I do.... I miss him.

Things like this are kinda a blessing in disguise for me. Sometimes I get tra-la-la-ing along with my little life and I forget to take the time to enjoy all the things I have. To notice the moment.

My good friend taught me a very valuable lesson, although I know she has no idea that she did. We used to go all over the place with our kids when they were smaller. We would drag them to the zoo or the park or the museum. I was always impressed that she was in no hurry to get the fun over with. She would enjoy each moment for what it was and if we didn't get to see or do everything that was there, oh well. She let her kids linger or play as long as they wanted. She just enjoyed being there and being with them.

So my thoughts today run toward the sappy side, but they are on my mind and I thought I would share. Enjoy your life in every way. You never know what is around the bend... life is always willing to throw you a curve ball. There is that old saying "Life is not a race but a journey."

Today I am taking it to heart.

7 Comments:

  1. Boquinha said...
    Awwww, what a thoughtful post. Yes, your friend's lesson is a valuable one that I'm learning, too--mindfulness. If you ever get a chance to read up on that (I recommend Jon Kabat Zinn), do it. It's good stuff. And something we probably don't think about or do enough.
    Carolyn said...
    This whole lesson has sure been on my mind as of late also. It is so easy to start "tra-la-la-ing" along, isn't it? I have been enjoying and loving my kids so much more... and being grateful for soooo many blessings.

    Heather Gibb (my family's photographer) lives in SLC. Her website is www.heathergibbphotography.com

    She costs lots of $$$ though!!! Luckily, since we had such a huge group getting all their pictures taken, she gave us a whopping deal.
    Shauna said...
    Great reminder!!! (I tagged you...I really meant to put your name down!)
    Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
    That is a great lesson. I have felt that way too lately. I find that we are too busy to get together with good friends or someone I have been wanting to get to know better is all of a sudden moving. It makes me stop and realize that I should just do things that are on my list before it is too late. The flower bed may need to be weeded but I need to visit with people I love first. Angie
    Anonymous said...
    Jill-
    Will you play with me? __yes? __no?
    And Timp caves- we saw a lot of people carrying babies up- I guess it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend taking a 3 year old. We left ours home. We were all soooo sore the next day (and the day after too!)
    If you do decide to do it, go before 9am- after that the hike gets hot and crowded.
    Stacy
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Wow. It really does stop you in your tracks when you remember how fragile life is. Thanks for the thought.
    Natalie said...
    Jill - I am just catching up on your blog and now I am wondering which boy from high school passed away? Can you send me a message on Facebook? Thanks!

Post a Comment