16.6.08

Imagine with me..... your cute little kiddo just got a brand new scooter for his third birthday. Of course along with this shiny new scooter comes a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads. Every time you send them out to ride around you spend a few minutes making sure they are safely suited up, you couldn't imagine them taking one little scoot without a helmet on.
Now fast forward a few years and if you are anything like me, the helmet is a brief thought that usually leaves as quick as it comes when you watch your kiddo race down the side walk. It hangs in the garage with every good intention, but life is too fast sometimes to make sure that it is doing it's job.
Well.... this post is dedicated to getting us all back on the right track in helmet safety.
I have a visual aide:

This is my poor little Tanner after a major wipe out on his scooter. He hit some sand and went flying over his handle bars. He skidded along the sidewalk a good two feet with his arms and legs flung out like Superman. Trust me, it was most scary to watch. But here is the kicker, he had his helmet ON!
Can you imagine what his poor little face would look like if he hadn't been wearing it? The helmet has a huge scrape on the front and is dented in where it hit the sidewalk. I am so grateful that I had him put it on. I don't want to think about him skidding along the sidewalk without it.
So if you are like me and have slacked off a little in the helmet department, DON'T!
It took a flying Tanner to scare me back into it, but we have all learned an important lesson. Helmets are a good thing!

4 Comments:

  1. Sarah E said...
    Thanks for this post. We too, have become just a little lax on the helmet wear.
    Emily said...
    OUCH! we got isaac a scooter for his 4th birthday but NO HELMET! and dave is crazy about safety...he worked in the injury prevention at salt lake county health dept. for 4 years. whoops!
    Jill said...
    I am going to gather my little "Helmet Haters" around my computer screen tonight and show them this picture! I ALWAYS make my kids put on their "gear", and they ALWAYS complain. I think this will help! Sorry Tanner had to go through this, but tell him thanks for the visual aid!
    Melissa said...
    Poor kiddo, I am glad he was wearing his helmet. I have seen some really bad stuff as a result of no helmets. My kids hate it because I even make then wear a helmet when they go horseback riding, or to the rollerskating rink. Just be tough!!!

Post a Comment