28.5.08

Last night was Kaden's first official pinewood derby! This was a whole new world for me. I have only sisters and have never been to one. I loved seeing how it all came together. They are way more serious than I would have ever guessed.

We almost missed it. It was the school carnival yesterday as well. Totally caught up in that, we didn't realize the time and that the car weigh in was already over. Luckily Kent noticed and rushed to get Kade over there. He made it but he wasn't in his uniform and he still had cotton candy all over his face. Oh well. The important part was that we made it. Pheww...
I could not belive the time and effort that the two of them poured into that little car. They spent hours out in the garage spinning graphite into the wheels and polishing things to perfection. Kent was worried that it wasn't enough and I told he was crazy. I couldn't imagine any of the other dads getting into it as much as he and Kade did. Turns out I know very little about the world of pinewood derbys. There were some really cool cars and some tough competition. It was really fun to see all these dads and little boys obsessing over their cars wheels and track placement. Oh the world of men.
Overall Kade took 4th. Not to shabby! (when I say tough competition, I mean TOUGH!) He was a great sport and really pleased with how his car did. Kent is already planning what to do for next year so that the Oaks' boys can once again rein supreme in pinewood derby land. I think it is fun to see the two of them having such a great time together.
Here are about a million pictures:
This is my attempt to get him to smile but he wouldn't take his eyes off his car, he was way too excited. I have about 10 versions of this picture and they all look like this.
The finished masterpiece. Kade named it "The Streak." The blue thing on the front is a very last minute windshield added by Kade. It was very important the the driver could see.
The track. That is "The Streak" in lane two ready to race.High tech digital score board. I don't know who owned the track, but it was some serious business.
High five from his den leader. We love her!
Kaden could NOT stand still he was so excited. (Notice the very un-cubscout attire, oh well.)
Weston spent the evening doing "snowman angels" on the gym floor. Happy boy!

Watching the cars come down. The girl was the winner! Her brother had strep throat so she raced his car for him and they took first! Pretty awesome. Lucy, just because she is cute.

Tanner was there too, but he never held still long enough to get a picture of him.

5 Comments:

  1. Stacy Holmes said...
    Welcome to the crazy world of cubscouts! The competition is crazy! In our ward they stopped doing the cubscout version and instead have an entire ward derby..that way the dads can make their own, and the kids can have one too. However, the dads use CO2 cartridges so they are superfast..it is crazy stuff! The cubscouts also do the raingutter regalia--good luck!
    Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
    Jill,
    Kade did so awsome to get 4th with the competition I am sure was pretty stiff.

    Thanks for commenting on my brag post. The poem I found here http://ryzmomplus2.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/05/teacher-gifts.html

    Do you want to start walking again in the evening? If you have to much going on I understand (believe me) until school is out I am booked solid. Angie
    Sarah E said...
    I love that first picture with him staring at the car. The excitement must have been almost too much to handle. Being a former den mother myself, I know the very intense atmosphere surrounding this event. Those crazy dads. Why is it really such a rush to have your little car go .01 seconds faster than the next guys'?
    Ryan's Repository said...
    Okay....This makes me want to have the Elders derby again. Last time my car got stuck on the track due to a major miscalculation on the track layout and motor placement. Next time will be different - two motors (spring loaded) that hug the track.
    Jill said...
    I will have to get Mike out there started on our unborn sons car...you can never be too prepared for these things..lol

    It looks like they had a fun time! Fourth place is amazing. Have you ever seen the cheesy church movie called Down and Derby? Maybe you can relate now. :-)

Post a Comment