1.2.10


Lue got the Happy Sounds Home from Fisher Price for her birthday and it is super cute. She loves it, too. The phone rings when you push it and every time Lue yells "phone is reeneen!"
Every time.
However, I have but one complaint.
The mommy, while she is super cute, is holding a giant ice cream cone and an even gianter pacifier. She is dressed in a purple jumper complete with black mary-janes and she has a little pop tummy that is either a baby or too many of those giant ice cream cones.
Not to get all feminist-y on you, but I don't know if this is the image I want my daughter to summon when thoughts of her mother come to mind. There is more to me than binkies and ice cream cones. And all be darn'ed if I ever buy a purple jumper and some black mary-janes.
Am I reading too much into this?
Most likely.
I mean, really, she is only two and it is a plastic figurine. Right now her world is a mommy and daddy that love her, the sound of the dishwasher and washing machine running and the joy of the doorbell ringing bringing new friends. Pacifiers and ice cream cones are among her top 10, hopefully I am too, so I guess an icon of them combined is no big deal.
But truthfully....
I have found that since she was born, I am suddenly so much more aware stuff like this. I am her role model and that kinda freaks me out. I know she will someday chat with her friends on the phone about how her mother ruined her life and how she will never do (insert terrible thing here) to her daughter. But how many of us are our mothers, whether we want to be or not? How many little mannerisms or habits do we have that scream our mothers name? Like or not, as mommy's we are shaping our daughters (and sons) for the rest of their lives. . Hopefully I am doing a good enough job that they won't be too screwed up.=)
But no worries. I am not going to write to Fisher Price and demand a new and modern mommy. I just felt like I need to share and wondered what your thoughts on the matter were. Being a parent is tough stuff! You never know when a moment reminding you how big of a job it is will find you.
By the way... anybody want an ice cream cone? Staring at that thing is starting to make my mouth water.

10 Comments:

  1. RACHELLE said...
    well....

    honestly,

    i have quite a collection of these little people myself, and i cant say that i ever noticed what was in their hands....

    you are a very observant girl.

    that is the eye of a photographer right htere girl!

    i just though that all the lil' people had a pooch and i chalked it up to being 2.5 inches tall.

    their torso doesnt offer any where else for their tummy to go , but OUT.

    the poor dears.

    lol

    you are a hoot.

    i just pray my kids wont look back and picture me holding a belt with an angry threatening look on my face. icecream and binkies would be a good contrast to that.

    hee hee shell
    Boquinha said...
    Oh Jill, you and I? Two peas in a pod! I love this post. Yes, yes, emphatically YES. I do think about this stuff. ALL THE TIME. Having a son AND a daughter is very, VERY eye opening. I don't think that people who have only sons (or only daughters) realize what it does to you psychologically -- I think it's a sign of mothers who care to consider all of this. I never noticed how gender-lopsided this world was until becoming a mother of both. I so so hear you. We figure we'll offer to pay for our kids' therapy when they're older. :) Seems only right.
    Emily said...
    I have black mary janes, and they're cute.

    so are you trying to scare me, or what?
    Jaz said...
    Hahahaha...No I don't worry about the role model thingy. When all of my friends in school wanted to be teachers & nurses, I wanted to be a Mom.

    I think the best part of feminism is that we have a choice. If we want to work, or get an education, or own a business etc..we can b/c of the women who took a stand.

    As for becoming our mothers, your parents are part of who you are way down to your molecular structure. You have to acknowledge the good along with the bad of that. Yes, you are shaping your kids, but one mistake or wrong decision is not going to define who they are b/c they have a CHOICE of who to become.

    Love you, Jo!
    Jill said...
    So I guess I don't get it....what's wrong with a Mom holding a Binkie and an Icecream cone? I see those as objects that show the love a Mom has for her kids. We try to comfort and be fun don't we? I wouldn't mind that as a role model for my kids. And as for the Belly, well, let's be honest, Fisher Price got it right for most of us. lol (I agree with the Jump suit though..gag...give Mom some skinny jeans and boots...we can still be hot and love our families right? lol)
    Jill said...
    ok, one more dumb thing...since your post got me started...I don't like how the song "Wheels on the Bus" portrays Mom. Why don't we get to cry with the Babies? (if you cut us do we not bleed?) Or better yet, why can't we join the kids and have fun going up and down? Why must we be the grumpy adult and just say, "SHHH, SHHH, SHHH"? And may I take this opportunity to share what we say the Dad does on the bus? The Daddy's on the bus go "snore, snore, snore" which leaves the mother to deal with the Bossy Bus driver, (blaring his horn in a rain storm)and the bouncing kids and crying babies...hmmm, maybe that song got it right after all. lol

    Ok, I'm done. lol
    Boquinha said...
    Okay, Jill's comment about the song was hilarious!
    Jillo said...
    Ha! Jill, you are hilarious, and totally right about both things. Binkies bring great joy and that is a good thing, right?
    However, Wheels on the Bus will never be the same again.
    J Fo said...
    Great stuff! I totally notice things like that, too. But I guess not enough for it to move me to action.
    Jenny said...
    Maggie has that house too and actually I was more disturbed about the dad holding two coffee cups! Can people go no where without their coffee!! I was actually really pissed off by this. The mom is a total dork, but they both have Word of Wisdom issues! ;)

Post a Comment