20.11.09
Winco has been the buzz word around here as of late,
So today I went to check it out.
Wowza. Definitely an experience. I went not knowing what to expect so
I thought it would be rather nice of me to make a pros and cons list for those who haven't been there. Knowledge is power, people! You can thank me with small gifts sent in the mail.
the good:
Prices. They really are lower than most places. The sales were fabulous. I got avacados for .25, apples for .50 a pound, a box of Wheaties for 1.98. Good deals.
The store flow. Sounds lame, but they kinda shuttle you along like the lines at Disneyland. The one problem is you hit produce first so you bananas run the risk of getting smushed. Bread is last, so that's nice.
the bad:
Everything is big. The carts are bigger than an average cart, but not as big as Sam's or Costco. You feel like it's a normal sized card, but you don't fill it up, which makes you think you aren't buying as much, so you add more stuff. Combine that with the low prices and I think it is really easy to overspend. I usually spend around 150.00 for groceries and I spent 187.00 without even realizing it. Make a list, stick to it and I think you'll end up ahead. Avoid the impulse buy no matter how cheap it sounds!!!
Selection. They have all the normal stuff, but lack in the organic, natural depot. Some, but not a ton. And I do have to wonder where my .25 avacados came from......
They don't take credit, only debit, cash or check.
the ugly:
NO BAGGERS!
And the checkers must have to sign a clause saying they will not help you, no matter how crazy your kids are or the fact that opened Lunchable crackers are flying all over the place. The checker stood there and stared at me while I floundered around trying to get 187.00 of groceries in bags. The lady behind me had to wait until I was done, so she stood there staring too.... Not cool.
It was super croweded! I am sure when it isn't the week before Thanksgiving it won't be as bad, but in some aisles you had to wait your turn to snag your peanut butter. I don't like playing chicken in the grocery store.
All in all, I give the whole thing a solid B-. I don't know if I will go there religiously, but maybe for those biggie big trips we have to trudge through sometimes. I did hear that since Winco is so cheap, other grocery stores will be lowering their prices to keep up. Bonus for all of us! We'll see.
The forum is now open for reviews from other Winco patrons.... how did it go for you?
That is just my opinion.
for me, your word is as good as fact!
kinda like oprah in the whole ecoli mad cow thing....
anyways thank you for the report...i think i would have an anxiety attack in the ushering along through the isles situation
but i would probably just plop down and cry while trying to keep up with kids and bag at the same time. so ... i think i might pass.
good reporting though! i give it an A+ :)