27.8.09



On to Thursday. I think this was my favorite day so I hope you enjoy the recap.

Kent played detective Wednesday night to find out when low tide was. We took his new found knowledge and set out Thursday morning to do some tide pooling.


We went to Indian Beach and found the perfect spot. Lots of cool things to see and it wasn't crowded at all. Weston did not enjoy the first half of this trip because of all the "yucky things all over the place." Once we explained that the yucky things were actually cool things, ie shells, crab skeletons, seagull feathers, etc.... he got into the spirit of things pretty quick. (by the way, did you notice the shirt.... that's right, Transformers.)


The boys wanted to take home every single nasty crab leg and discarded muscle shell they found so we had to limit it to what they could fit in a plastic bag. All of them still have a baggie full of treasures kept in a safe place. It makes me smile every time I see them looking through it.




We slowly made our way over to the rocks where the real tide pooling action was. There were jelly fish all over the beach which made me really nervous. I have this weird jelly fish phobia, I think it comes from that Friends episode, you know the one where Joey pees on Monica because she got stung by a jelly fish? That episode has stuck with me in a creepy way....


When we finally made it over there, we realized that all the orange and purple dots on the rocks were starfish (sea stars, if you are proper, but I am not.) There were so many of them and they looked nothing like the pictures you see in books, more like pink, purple and orange brains. Wes pronounced them yucky and I kinda had to agree.

I took Lucy over to one for closer inspection, but it turned out starfish were on her ever growing list of things that were scary in Oregon.

Hiding her head and hoping the scary starfish would just quietly disappear.

She did think the crabs and sea anemones were pretty cool, go figure, but soon she was done with the whole tide pooling thing so she and I went to play in the sand while the boys explored.


Did you know sea anemones are sticky? They secret a poison that stings fish but doesn't bother our skin. It is that poison that makes them feel kinda like sticky rubber.

Okay, one more light house geek fest and then I promise I am done. This is the Tillamook Head lighthouse and it is super cool. It was decommissioned in 1956, but up until then it was the most expensive lighthouse in the world to run. Storms and waves kept breaking things and getting supplies out there was a big job. Now it serves as a place to leave your ashes if you want to be buried at sea. It is also a bird sanctuary. Can you imagine living there? People did, but I think it would scare me to death.

After tide pooling, we hiked up to a lookout of Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock. This is the same place where the end scene of Goonies was filmed. You know... when the pirate ship sails away after it breaks out of the mountain? It is also one of the most beautiful spots I think I have ever been too. This picture doesn't do it any justice.



Tanner is a boy after my own heart when it comes to photography and I let him take some pictures on our hike back down. I think he did a really great job, although I am not sure where Lucy went. She was there somewhere.....

Thursday was the only day we had any sort of sunshine so after our hike we went back to the beach house, took a tiny nap, and headed down to the beach for the rest of the day. I didn't take any pics, but know that it was very fun. I drove into town and scored some shrimp chowder for Kent and me while the boys had Spaghetti Oh's and toast. Both parties thought it was the best dinner ever. Plus this was the only night that Kent and I managed to watch a movie without falling asleep! We revisited "Lost Boys" and surprisingly enough it was still a great show. Some movies are better left watched with teenage eyes and we were worried this may be one of them. But nope, still a decent show. If only the same could be said for "Lady in White" and "Terminator."
Next up: Friday and our journey home.



6 Comments:

  1. J Fo said...
    What a great adventure for those boys! Too bad Lucy was a timid tiger...but I think I might have been right along with her on that one.
    Emily said...
    That looks like a really fun day. noah does that sometimes--decides he's too scared of stuff all of a sudden to have fun. Annoying (but cute for Lucy, 'cause she's so cute).
    Jenny said...
    Yay Jill!!! I just got a chance to catch up on your Blog. Your Oregon pics are fabulous! It brought back so many childhood memories of my vacations in Oregon. It's so lush there. Did you see any of those gigantic banana slugs? The beach looked fabulous. My boys LOVE tide pools. We've taken our share of dead crab legs home too- they stink. Anyways, looks like you had a blast! I'm so glad you got to go. You're kids will remember vacations like that forever :)
    Shauna said...
    Sounds lovely Jill! I'm so happy you had a wonderful vacation. Beautiful pictures as always!
    Jill said...
    ohhhh, now I HAVE to visit Oregon again and do the whole "low tide exploring" My girls would totally dig that!
    wonderwoman1975 said...
    Wow! These pictures and your recap are great! AMAZING ABOUT TANNER - that picture is totally framed, very well shot! Very nice, 7 year old boy! Glad you passed on good genes, mama.

Post a Comment