25.8.09
On Day 3 of our journey, we woke up ready for adventure. There were rumors of an awesome aquarium in Newport city, but it was about 2.5 hours away. Tanner really wanted to check it out and after much debate we decided to go for it, so back in the van we went.
Our first stop was the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook city.

Who knew this was such a happening place? It was SOOOO crowded!! This is the only picture I could get inside because there were tooo many people. Aren't my little farmer and cow cute?

We went on the self guided tour and it was kinda cool to see cheese making in action. The boys were way into it. We bought some cheese curds that were so yummy, we had to go back a few days later to stock up on some more. They also sold super yummy ice cream that we had to sample as well. Mmmm...... ice cream......

Tillamook sits on Tillamook Bay and has a totally different feel than the other coastal towns. Cows and mist and lots of pine trees. I think if I ever were to live on the coast, Tillamook is where I would end up.
Back in the car and on to the aquarium. Tanner spotted a whale off the coast in Depot Bay, but the rest of us were too slow to see it. (and maybe, just maybe thought he made the whole thing up) We later learned that there is a pod of about 100 whales that stick around the coast all year. They were in Depot Bay so Tanner won the whale spotter award. He was quite proud.
Finally we made it to the aquarium and while it was very cool, I think the kids had more fun exploring the picnic areas that are sprinkled throughout the highway.
I learned that starfish are rather creepy and some can be enormous!
There was a children's garden with giant statues of various sea animals to climb on. We spent a fair chunk of our visit hanging out with the giant turtles. 

Here is Wes being king of the children's garden:

*Note: in every single picture of Weston, he is wearing this Transformers shirt. We did wash it every so often, but he would not wear anything else. He has a thing for Bumblebee.

Kade and Tanner trying to pick up the giant fish that lived on the rocks.
Remember what I said about the picnic areas? This was one right outside of the aquarium that we stopped for lunch. Look at teeny tiny Kent and the teeny tiny picnic tables, and then look at the gigantic pine tree. It was amazing to me how tall things can grow when they actually get some water.

A few miles down the road was Yaquina Bay with a lighthouse you could explore inside and a very awesome bridge. The next two pictures I stole off the Internet because I forgot to take some of the lighthouse and it was really cool. I was surprised that the lighthouse was really a house! They have restored it so you can go in and see what lighthouse life was like back in 1871. A family lived here and it was in use for only 3 years, from 1871 till 1874. It is the oldest building in Newport.
Okay, lighthouse geek fest is now over, it was just really cool.....


The Yaquina Bay Bridge was very cool as well. We had to drive over every bridge we saw because the boys loved them. Lucy was very nervous every time we went across one and would say "uh oh" over and over until we reached the other side.

After our jaunt over the Yaquina Bridge and a small exploration of Washington State, (I did keep my eyes open for Edward and Bella, but they were no where to be found) we headed for home. We got to Seaside with just enough time to have some super yummy clam chowder in town. You really can't beat fresh sea food.
An interesting note: When you live at 4400 ft above sea level and then head down to 100 ft above sea level, you feel like Super Woman! Nothing gets you down! But then when you come home and sit on your couch you fall asleep in 5 seconds because your body is exhausted, you just don't know it. You haven't felt winded or tired all day! Kent and I thought this was pretty funny. I brought movies for us to watch after the kids fell asleep, but we couldn't stay awake past the opening credits. =)
Stay tuned for more exciting Oregon adventures.....
5 Comments:
-
- Emily said...
August 25, 2009 at 10:38 PMIsaac has a thing for Bumblebee too! So annoying. I love the bridges, and especially that Lucy said "uh oh." So funny and cute.- J Fo said...
August 26, 2009 at 1:21 AMThis sounds like such a fun family adventure. I'm sure it's a trip that the kids will remember for a long time.- Boquinha said...
August 26, 2009 at 10:39 AMBeautiful green nature, tall trees, feeling like Super Woman at sea level . . . tell tale signs, my friend. Tell tale signs. Someone needs to move to a coast!- Stacy Holmes said...
August 26, 2009 at 12:09 PMI am impressed, Jill, that you didn't have panic attacks on those bridges. One question..did you make sure the doors and windows were open for a quick escape in case you plummeted into the water below??- stacey said...
August 26, 2009 at 2:01 PMThe bridge pic is BEAUTIFUL!!! Oregon is such a neat place I can't get over those trees amazing. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip with GREAT memories!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)