20.5.09

We signed the 9 year old up for Karate and today was his first official lesson.  Everywhere I read it is recommended for kids with ADHD. We had him in Tae Kwon Do awhile ago, which he loved but I wasn't super thrilled with. So I have been kinda hesitant to sign him up for something again. 


I called the place and they quoted me a price. I nearly dropped the phone at how much money it was, but  plowed on with the conversation. He told us to come and and he would do an assessment. "First two lessons are free."  Now I am a cynic of the worst degree, it is actually kinda a problem,  so  I was less than wowed. With the prices he was quoting, two free lessons didn't sound that impressive,  but I agreed to meet with him and let Kade try it out. 

We sat down to chat in his little office, my skepticism still oozing, and he launched into his little speech.  

About 14 words in, I was totally hooked.

His said his place wasn't just a place to learn martial arts, it was a school for building character. He talked about respect and gave Kaden a homework assignment to use words like "yes ma'am" and "no sir" for the next few days.  There was even a paper to keep talley marks at how often he does.  He was totally serious and Kaden was lapping up every word. When he broke out the food pyramid and launched into proper nutrition, that was it. I knew this was the right place for us and I was totally excited. 

After our little pep talk he gave him a private lesson. So great! Again, totally impressed on his approach and attitude.  We get to go back tomorrow for our second private lesson and at the end he promised  he would be able to break a board.  Kade is super stoked. 

The downfall... the cost. It really is expensive. I would love to put both Tanner and Kade in together, but that is going to have to wait.  Too much money.

I am really excited for tomorrow's free lesson. ;) Not even one hint of sarcasm in that statement. This could be the beginning of a beautiful thing.  




8 Comments:

  1. Jagged Rocks said...
    I think that Kaden will love it, and it will be a good thing for him.
    Boquinha said...
    Ooooh, I'm intrigued. I've wondered about martial arts for our family, too. Keep us posted!
    Emily said...
    Wow Jill, that's so great! I feel excited about it myself!
    RACHELLE said...
    I HAPPEN TO HAVE A KADE MYSELF...LITERALLY... MY 3 YEAR OLD KADE MAY NEED SOMETHING LIKE THIS! LET US KNOW HOW IT PANS OUT.

    OH AND , CAN THE MOMS BREAK A BOARD EVERY NOW AND AGAIN?

    CUZ I TOTALLY HAVE DAYS WHERE I WOULD BENEFIT FROM BREAKIN A BOARD OR TWO.....OR THREE....ON SECOND THOUGHT...I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T START IN ON THE HABIT OF BREAKIN STUFF.
    Shauna said...
    Wow! How exciting for you and Kade!
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Rachelle cracks me up! I am glad you are finding a positive place..cost is nothing in this current situation! Totally the right move!
    Jill said...
    I might want Mike to sign up. I wouldn't mind a "yes ma'am" here and there. :-)

    This sounds so perfect for Kade. I can't wait to hear how it all works out. Good luck!
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Wow!

Post a Comment