16.4.09

For our anniversary trip extravaganza, Kent and I decided to go to the Oregon Coast.  I've  had so much fun thinking of things to do and great places to stay.  But as I was planning away, a little voice inside my head kept repeating, "your kids would love this, your kids would love this...."

So after talking to Kent and finding out he was feeling kinda the same way, we have switched directions! (again) We are going to take the kids and go this summer instead of the fall. 

Although we are giving up our no kiddos getaway, I am totally excited. I rented the cutest little beach house in Seaside and we are going to go for 9 days of fun. I would say relaxation, but we all know that vacationing with 4 children is anything but. Four of our days will be spent traveling which I find  a bit daunting, but that's what portable DVD's are for, right? And I do love a good road trip.  We are even bringing Ms. Lucy, the girl who hates to be in the car for more than 10 minutes and who was blessed with a great set of lungs. Any one have any ideas on how to get her to sleep for two days straight? (just kidding......a little)
So who's been there? Any ideas on things to do with kids? Our little house is 1/2 block from the beach, but with the temps in the low 70's swimming is out and  sandcastles are in. And one can only build so many sandcastles.  
Like I said, I am totally excited and so are the kids and that  makes it even more fun.  

10 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    You're a good mom. it's going to be so fun! As for the car, I have no tips. Noah still hates the car (from his infancy days) and screamed from our house to St. George (all 5 hours of it) last month. I sometimes use melatonin from GNC. Cut it in half and have them chew it, makes them fall asleep really quickly but, unlike drugs, does not make them STAY asleep, so if they get woken up by a bump or a noise, it's over.
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Ok..nice fuzzy post now..You are a loving mother that can't stand to be away from their darling faces. Only a nice Mom would bring her kids on a romantic vacation, what a wonderful example of true motherhood. We must all savor every moment of their fleeing childhoods, sacrifice self and live for the children. This is the true definition of selfless Motherhood. You have just made a decision that will make a great chapter in your self help book for mothers. Good Job
    PS I failed this one and went to Disney world without kids! What kind of mother am I? I will buy your book - first edition!
    Jill said...
    That sounds so fun! Just so you know, I speak from experience that you would stress out for weeks and weeks at the thought of leaving your kids...(although it was really fun once it came down to it.) Mike and I went to Oregon and our favorite activity was a hot dog roast on the beach. Also there is a really cool petty zoo there. We got to hold skunks and baby tigers and stuff. I can look it up if you are interested. We also went to some cool light houses. I bet your kids would love that. HAve so much fun!!!
    Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
    sounds really fun Jill. I don't know about road trips to much. Sorry. I have never been there either. But, it sounds really fun.
    Sherilyn said...
    Jill, Rich is from Oregon. We did the entire oregon coast 2 years ago with all our kids. Call me. I'd be happy to review an atlas with you and give you some pointers. You'll have a blaast!
    Jillo said...
    Sherilyn, what a handy girl you are to have around. I will totally call you and get some ideas, thanks!

    Stacy H, thanks for you heartfelt words of encouragement. You truly inspire me to continue with my journey of finding Nirvana through motherhood.

    Emily, thanks for the melatonin tip. Totally did not even think of it and it will come in major handy, especially with getting her to sleep at night.
    Jagged Rocks said...
    Kraig wanted to go to Oregon this year, but we had to put that on the back burner...to many other things. So you will have to tell us what's fun, so when we do get to go we will know what to do.
    Boquinha said...
    Awesome! I think what you're doing is great! A week at the beach is our favorite kind of family vacation and we're 2 hours from all sorts of beaches. :) I love the ocean.

    We're feeling a bit daunted by 4 days travel to UT and 4 days travel back for the reunion (if we do it). UGH.
    Jillo said...
    Boquinha - there has to be some sort of equation like:
    If 4 children + 2 days in the car = insane parents
    Then 2 children + 4 days in the car = insane parents.
    So really we are in the same boat and if we can do it, you can do it!
    stacey said...
    I would do the same thing. As much fun as a getaway would be with me and my hubby, I would miss my kids and think the entire time "they would love this" I have been up the coast, and remember all the AMAZING lighthouses, we went crab fishing and I have also heard of this fun "wild safari" zoo.

    My sister swears by the melatonin too, but Leah did great when we drove to California and she is not a car baby either. What a FUN trip you will have great memories!

Post a Comment