20.1.09
Today has been a very good day.
As I listened to Presidents Obama's Inauguration speech, I was filled with such a hopeful sense of anticipation for the great things to come. The word that kept running through my mind was "finally."
Finally someone who feels and thinks the way I do, someone who wants the same world that I want. Someone who is willing to stand up and say enough is enough, it's time to change. If you don't like it, too bad, it's got to be done.
As I watched, with Lucy slung on my hip, I thought, finally someone is willing to speak out for our children's future, for our world's future. No more us vrs. them, but rather, how can we all come together.
Finally someone who realizes that there is no quick fix, but years of hard work and great changes necessary to reach our goals of a greener, more peaceful Earth.
Finally someone who is willing to try to bring these changes, to think outside the box, to shake up the norm.
Finally someone who recognizes that as Americans, we have a great responsibility to the world, but that we aren't the only people of the world.
I am excited about what is going on at Washington. I can better understand the feelings that lead soldiers to war, and pioneers across a prairie. Patriotism is a powerful word and I am ready to get things started!
As for the recent abortion issue, Obama is finally getting to work on some issues that have long needed attention. He's stopping the inhuman torture at Guantanamo Bay and he's overturning the Bush administration's ban on funding overseas organisations involved with abortion programs. Right now, no charities that promote or provide information or advice in any way about termination services receive state funding, but instead of helping matters through forced morality, it's made it worse because many of those charities also feed the hungry and shelter the homeless. It's a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face--it's hurting the living, the walking wounded.
Speaking of, I LOVE that Obama mentioned helping with worldwide hunger and poverty. The ONE organization has been pushing and petitioning for him to mention it in his address (I signed it!) and he did! The BILLIONS of dollars we spend on war and killing while people in this world starve is such an atrocity. I'm so glad that he's committing to helping those who are suffering in and outside our country--he's realistic about it (we are in a huge recession), but he's willing to see that helping others can't be ignored. That doesn't help anyone prosper.
Man, I'm excited! Great post, Jill. You echo many of my same sentiments as usual. Not surprising. ;)