5.1.09

Last night, croup snuck under our doorway and found Weston. I was up with him for most of the night. Sigh.... Being up all night makes for a REALLY long day. Double sigh......

Wes is no stranger to croup, it finds him at least once a year. No fun for anyone when that happens. It usually is the worst in the middle of the night, and it usually comes in the winter.

It can be super scary because your kid can't breath, so I thought I would put some tips on dealing with it, in case you haven't run into it yet and it catches you off guard.

Croup is not a single illness, but rather a group of symptoms that cause your child's airway to constrict. It may or may not have an accompanying fever and can last 5-7 days. It usually effects kids under 5, but the younger they are, the worse it can be. (so scary when it is your little baby!)


First of all, your child will have a cough that sounds like a barking seal. They may wheeze when they breath, like an asthma attack. Weston told me it felt like there was something stuck in his throat and he couldn't get it out. Don't panic! If you panic, your kid will panic and it gets worse if they are upset.

You have a couple options: First, run a steamy hot shower and sit in the bathroom for a while so your child can breath the humid air. We usually get a book or something to pass the time because everyone is cranky and disoriented at 1:00 am. Stay until you can hear their breathing clear and their cough subside, usually about 20 minutes for us.

Second, if the weather is cold, you can take them outside or sit by a window to breath the cold air. It seems odd to me that either hot, damp air; or cold, dry air will both do the trick, but they do. This option is not fun for anyone, especially like last night when the weather is 11 degrees, but the cold seems to work better than the shower. I use it as the second choice if the shower isn't helping enough.

A cool mist humidifier by their bed will help, but not solve things. I still like to sleep where I can hear them breath. It is so scary to listen to your kiddo gasping for breath and barking like a seal, but better to hear than to not.

If these options aren't doing the trick, (which usually they should) and your child is still having a difficult time getting air, it is time to head to the emergency room. They will most likely give them a shot of steroids. Some say that Albuterol and a nebulizer will help, but in my experience, it doesn't do anything but make your kid mad because you are waving "stinky smoke" in their face. There are also a million homeopathic ideas out there if you are in to that sort of thing. Normally I like to try to take the least invasive route while treating my children, but when it comes to breathing, (or not, as the case may be,) I will take the emergency room and the steroids. Does anyone know a tried and true homeopathic method? I would love it if you would share.

So there you go. Hopefully if this happens, you can remember these ideas and help your kiddo with out panicking. I remember the first time Wes had a really bad attack. I was a basket case, rushing to the ER and crying the whole way at 2:00 am. I have since calmed way down and accepted it as part of our winter time fun. Good luck!

13 Comments:

  1. Sarah E said...
    The best thing to do from my experience is get your trusty nebulizer and put ice chips in it. Then it's like they're breathing the crisp, cool outside air, but in the comfort of their nice, warm house.
    Sarah E said...
    Oh wait... I thought of something else. If you happen to be in Lake Powell and child gets a bad case of croup and you didn't think to bring your nebulizer on your trip and plus there is no ice to be found, and the outside air is 103 degrees... the best thing to do is hop in a speed boat with a crazed pediatrician and take off into the night. It's also best if you travel at approximately 90 degrees on the dark, scary water and catch as much 'air' as you possibly can. If this happens, clutch your infant in your arms and hold onto them for dear life. Try not to panic, because of course they pick up on it and things escalate more. Once you arrive on shore, run around making emergency phone calls on your satellite phone until you locate a small clinic only 3 miles away. Run to your car, climb in, and drive like a mad man. When you arrive, bang on the door incessantly until someone finally answers. Luckily you have your crazed pediatrician with you. This moves things right along because he waits for no one. He just barges into the back, grabs a syringe of some very important (unknown to you) substance and stabs your baby in the leg. After the crying finally stops, take a deep breath. Whew! All is well.
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Wow Sarah, that is quite a story!
    Ben got croup every winter..I have never even thought of going to the ER though..
    We do the humidifier every night while the air is really dry. We have also sat on the front porch wrapped in blankets until he could breathe again..The shower is less scary for a little kid though. THe good news..he hasn't had a problem for the last three years so they do grow out of it..knock on wood.
    Stacy Holmes said...
    By the way, how was the bday? We went to your favorite restaurant for dinner that night..I was hoping to run into you, but no avail. Benders are good, but a very guilty pleasure! Are we still on for tomorrow?
    Robyn said...
    Oh--I feel for you Jill. Every time Miles gets even just a little bit of a cold it heads right to his throat and he starts barking. We like the shower and the humidifier. We haven't had to head to the hospital before, but I have slept in his room many nights just so I can hear him breathe. I have heard they grow out of it--so lets hope that is the case!
    Boquinha said...
    Oh Jill, how awful! We're in the midst of researching/trying homeopathic treatments for Kate--acupuncture works, too, on her (and believe it or not, she likes it!). Anything to not take "disgusting-tasting medicine." She gets a REALLY bad cough with wheezing (almost asthmatic-sounding) and struggles like that when it's humid (we can always tell when it's going to rain or snow based on her cough)--she's allergic to mold and the mold count goes up before a storm. It's horrible and I can't stand constantly loading our kids up with Benadryl, etc. There's got to be better than a band-aid solution! We use a dehumidifier sometimes (but try to balance that out with not drying out Maxim too badly). Ai ai ai. I think you guys need to move to the country and near a good country doctor I know. :)
    Emily said...
    Yikes. I don't think my kids have ever had it, but Isaac always gets a bad cough around November and it sticks around through May or so. Sometimes I wonder if it's croup, but it doesn't sound like it to me. It does sound kind of sealish-barking, but he doesn't usually struggle to breathe.
    Melissa E said...
    Oh the trials and tribulations of croup! When I was 2 I stopped breathing (my croup was so bad), my dad fresh out of paramedic school called 911 and was about to give me a tracheotomy (don't know if I spelled that right) but luckily the ambulance showed up and they got me breathing again. I don't remember that but I have spent countless nights with Nyah barking away. In 2008 she had it 3 times, once even at the beginning of September. She seems to prefer the heating vents shut in her room with a cool mist humidifier, and then a pediacare vapor ball plugged in right by her bed. Don't know if you've heard of the vaporballs but they're great, they make the whole room smell like vapor rub. I also just read an email about putting vicks on their feet and then put on some thick socks. Weird I know but supposedly it works, haven't tried it out yet but I'll let you know if I do.
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Poor guy. I hope he is better really soon.
    Melissa said...
    Vapor rub on the feet does work. Also giving them a popcicle can help. Putting the ice chips in the nebulizer is also one we would use all the time at the clinic. Putting them in their car seat with their coat on and drive around with the window down. Actually we would have parents keep Dexamethasone (steroid) at home on hand to give by mouth when the first symptoms start. Nothing much different than what you already know. Croup is really awful.
    stacey said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    stacey said...
    I'm with you on this. Quinn get croup a couple of times a year. Everytime he gets a cold it turns into croup - scares me to death! I have heard of the vicks thing on the feet, but have never tried it. My pediatricain has also given me a perscription for a steroid, it works ok. But we usually end up in the ER or Instacare. Good luck!
    Anonymous said...
    Better late than never. A good old natural treatment is to crush garlic cloves into paste and spred on the bottom of the child's feet. Then, wrap in plastic, then wrap a towel around them. "Try" to keep the child's feet covered through the night. This along with the moist air should help break up the croupiness.

Post a Comment