23.12.08

Jingle bells, Batman smells,
Robin laid an egg.....

We all remember this delightful ditty from our childhood. But did you know that there is an equally delightful rendition for almost every Christmas song out there, including the hymns? I found this out on Sunday. For our church program, we had a mini sing along with a bunch of the Christmas hymns. I was lucky enough to be sitting by my 8 year old who whispered the "other" version of each song to me as we sang. It sure added to the Christmas spirit! Here are some of the most fun.

Joy to the World
That Barny's dead.
We burned him to the ground.
Don't worry 'bout the body,
We flushed it down the potty
And around and around it goes
And around and around it goes....

You get the idea. Nice, eh? Where do they learn these things. And how do they spread like wildfire?

Here is another: (not a hymn, but still pretty good)

I'll be Cloned for Christmas,
There’ll be three of me;
One to Work, and One to Shop,
And One just for Parties.

Christmas Eve, I'm certain,
I won't be alone;
I'll be home for Christmas,
Or else I'll send a Clone!

So rest assured, the tradition lives on. Children all over the world are uniting in joyful song, with a few minor alterations. And while Kade whispering in my ear didn't bring the traditional Christmas spirit, he did remind me of the magic and joy that children bubble over with this time of year and the spirit of joy that comes with.

9 Comments:

  1. Stacy Holmes said...
    Why are these things so funny again? I just don't see the humor in these insane Barney songs. Do these kids even remember Barney? Why does a purple dinosaur deserve such treatment? What did he do to them anyway? Was it the fact that he jumped in the air and flapped his arms when he giggled that brings such torture to poor Barney. Yea, I think that is it! So when does Dora get her version?
    Joy to the world, Dora is mute, she cannot sing her songs! She has no voice, she cannot scream, and Isa can run free, and Boots can paaarty..The map and backpack can now relax..or something terrible like that. Jill, you are so good at poems, I now give you the job to write a new version of a Christmas song. Try and top that one :)
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Ha ha. Luke is learning some of these from Tanner and he thinks they are pretty great.
    Amber said...
    HEY! I JUST barely realized you left a comment on my blog like 3 wks ago! Drrr.... So glad you found me! SNOOP ALL THE TIME! Love your blog too! Oh my golly your boys are big! And little lu-lu! Beautiful!!! Have a Merry Christmas!!!
    Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
    That is pretty funny--I have not heard of those ones before. Have a Merry Christmas Jill.
    Jill said...
    My girls were singing the ol' school..."Joy to the world the school burnt down..." they were singing it ALL wrong. I found myself telling them the right(wrong?)words. Shouldn't I be tellng them NOT to sing that version at ALL instead of saying.."No Annie,,actually it's..."and somebody flushed her down and somebody flushed her down"
    Shauna said...
    Haha! Merry Christmas!
    Boquinha said...
    I love singing these with kids! :P Hilarious. Thanks for sharing some new ones.
    Sarah E said...
    Ah ha! That's where they learned it from!!!
    Jaz said...
    these songs were part of "mental break '05....if you think it's great to hear one 8 yr old, try being a den mother and listening to twelve 8 yr olds....agh. my kids now know not to sing jingle bells, batman smells.

Post a Comment