1.12.08

Today, on a quick run to Target, my van started to sputter and cough. I barely made it into a nearby parking lot before it totally died. Freaking out, I called Kent who said he was on his way, but his work was a bit far and so I was in for a wait. What to do in with two kids in a parking lot with 45 minutes to kill? Weston never had so much fun playing with a rock, and Lucy finally got see more of the van then her car seat.  We were right next to an office complex and a couple of guys stopped to ask if I needed any help. I told them no worries, my husband was on his way to rescue me. 
When Kent showed up, he pulled out an empty gas can. I was insulted! I am smart enough to know when my car is out of gas! He assured me that it was just a precaution and we would just "give it a try." He walked about 100 feet to the gas station, filled up the gas can and then filled up the car.

It started right up.

I was mortified.

How many people just watched me wait in the parking lot with two little kids for 45 minutes, playing fabulous games like "see how far you can roll a rock across a parking lot," and " follow the the leader three year old style" only to have my husband show up, walk next door to the gas station, fill up a gas can and fill up my car????? So embarrassing! Kent felt so bad for me, he ditched work for an hour and took me to lunch. 

For the record...... my gas gauge was stuck on a quarter of a tank so it didn't show that I was running on fumes. I am not a total idiot, but it was a little odd how long that quarter of a tank was lasting.  

8 Comments:

  1. Shafferprincess said...
    Jill, I'm sorry, but that's REALLY funny! I know it was probably really frustrating for you with Weston and Lucy and keeping them happy, and REALLY embarassing to you because of those that had watched you the whole time. Hopefully you can laugh about it now, and not get too red in the face! Thanks for the smile before bedtime!
    Sarah E said...
    Ha ha. We love you Jill!
    Shauna said...
    How funny...glad it didn't end up being something serious!
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Geez. That's what happened to me a couple months ago. Luckily I was in my driveway though. I don't dare go much less than a half a tank anymore. I definitely don't want to go less than a quarter tank anymore.
    Emily said...
    hahahaha! i can't help but laugh! i did that once too. not with kids, but i was in college, driving a friend's car, when it totally died. i had a major panic attack, and dave's roommate said "let's just try filling it up with some gas". it worked. whoops.
    Stacy Holmes said...
    How funny! I am sorry for the moment of mortification! I am proud of you for having the guts to blog about it!
    Nathan and Alyssa said...
    He he. That so sounds like something I would do! I'm glad for you that you didn't have to pay a mechanic or anything.

    Lucy just isn't that much older than my Isaac, is she? He'll be one in February. How fun. We should have a play-date sometime. I haven't seen any of you since Laurie got married!
    Boquinha said...
    Bwahahahahah! I love how real you are.

Post a Comment