28.10.08

I just dropped 20 bones on Halloween candy! YIKES! We get quite a few trick or treaters because our house is on the road to the really big houses and everyone knows the bigger the house, the bigger the candy bar, right? That and, the bigger bag you carry around to collect your candy, the more candy you will get. Gospel truths if you are a kid on Halloween. But like I was saying, we get a lot of kids who are just warming up until they hit pay dirt lane, so we have to buy a lot of candy. I guess we could just buy a little bit and then turn off our light when we run out, but my favorite thing about Halloween is watching my kids faces when the doorbell rings and they get to hand out the candy. Especially the little guys.
This is the first year that Kaden is set on scoring as much candy as he can. In past years he would make it to a few houses and then decide he was too cold to keep going. It's all about the candy this time around. I remember trick or treating once in the snow as a kid and shivering so bad I could hardly walk. But the call of candy was too strong and I kept at it. It was totally worth it in the end.
My kids are out of school on Halloween day. Some sort of teacher thing, I guess. That means they have their Halloween party and parade on Thursday so they will come home full of sugar and fun, trunk or treat on Thursday night for even more sugar and fun, and then be home with me all day on Friday, waiting for night so we can go trick or treating for MORE sugar and fun. It is going to be great! (this, of course, was said in the most sarcastic manor.)
So HELP!!! I need some ideas. What am I going to do with these kids on Friday? Do any of you have a really fun tradition or ideas that we can do over here? We are going to need something.

4 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    how about some MORE sugar and fun? last year we made these fun mummy hot dogs and the ghosts in the graveyard dessert. it's fun to let the kids help with those kinds of things. click here to read and get recipes.
    Boquinha said...
    Smart teachers. Maybe skip Trunk or Treat. :P We're skipping it simply because it's too much (time and sugar)! Having candy around for a long time drives me bonkers. Can you say "Bah Humbug" for Halloween? We are going trick-or-treating at some friends' houses and that's enough for us.

    Oh Jill, we need to email each other!! Mine is boquinha AT gmail -- feel free to use it anytime!

    We do mummy hot dogs, too. And we also make soup in a pumpkin and dinner in a pumpkin. You actually bake them IN the pumpkin and OMIGOSH they're so yummy and so pretty! Like a cover of a magazine!

    You could do crafts--I know tons of websites where you can get ideas.

    Our homeschool group is doing a service project that day--we're visiting a nursing home and singing and playing songs and doing crafts and basically cheering them up. Maybe visit one with the kids in costume? They could hand out crafts (since candy's not a good idea in case residents are diabetic, etc.).

    I hope you have a really fun family day!!
    Sarah E said...
    You bought candy, huh? I guess that means I was unsuccessful at talking you into spending Halloween with us. :(
    Stacy Holmes said...
    My only suggustions is going to the local garden stores..Engh Gardens has a good pumpkin display with a corn maze thing for the little guys..there is always Gardner Village. Libraries have storytimes and Halloween activities too. Check out the library website for the schedule..
    You could go to Murray Park, the leaves are always pretty there so you can take pictures..like you like to do, then let the kids feed the ducks and play on one of the three playgrounds. You could also let the kids watch TV all day and you can hide in your room until the witching hour comes :)

Post a Comment