6.10.08

I am turning over some new leaves around here! I am making some pretty big changes in the way I run my little family and how I manage myself and I feel really good.
Life has been a little negative for me lately and I am kinda getting tired of it. So, after some soul searching I have come up with a list of goals and ideas that I would like to see happen. Those who know me, know that goal setting is NOT my thing. And for me to write them down is unheard of. But this way, I have them were not only I can see them, but where everyone can see them and maybe it will help me stick with them a little bit better.

So here are a few things I am going to do.

1. I will find a way to reinforce the religious values of my faith in the every day moments I share with my children.
I know there are ladies out there that do this without thinking all the time, but I am not one of them. I am way to sarcastic and cynical for my own good and this does spill into recognizing and seizing teaching moments. Realistically, I cannot snap my fingers and turn saintly. I can, however, make more of an effort to allow myself to be guided in the right direction and hopefully the saintly part will come. Baby steps, right?

2. I will work harder at appreciating my children in whatever phase they are in.
Those of you with 8 year old sons know that the potty humor gets really old. So does the jumping off the stairs, the obnoxious repetitive noises and the mile long stories about characters you know nothing about. But these things are really important to him and therefore should be more important to me. I really loved President Monson's talk on enjoying the journey. My favorite quote was something along the lines of "if you fill up your today's with thoughts of tomorrows, you will end up with nothing but empty yesterdays." So true in my world. I seem to always want things to be different and tomorrow always seems to be better. I am going to try and enjoy my children wherever they are in life. (But this does not mean I have to enjoy Mega Man and Pokemon, sorry boys.)

3. I am going to set up more structured family activities.
I have grand ideas, but no follow through. I am going to work on this. My sister-in-law April is an amazing example of this for me. She is always loading her kids up and doing great things with them. I truly believe her kids are better for it. I am going to try and follow her example and get off my butt and see the world, four kids in tow.

4. Hold to existing and establish new traditions.
I have so many lame, little things that my family did which hold such a dear place in my heart. We used to have this little plastic elf and every year we would hide it in the Christmas tree. So simple, but so fun! I love traditions and want my kids to love them too. (By the way, anyone have any great Family Home Evening ideas?)

5. I will be slower to anger and try my very hardest to not yell.
This one is pretty self explanatory.

6. I will live a greener life.
I am appalled by the waste and greed our society generates. We are blessed to live in a very affluent area, but with that comes a bit of keeping up with the Jones's attitude. I am a firm believer in simple living and I want my kids to be able to recognize this as well. We do not need half the stuff we think we do. Simple living makes me (and my checkbook) happy.

7. I will remind myself everyday that I am very blessed.
I really, really am. I have everything I could ever need and the perfect people to share it with. My children deserve the best mother possible and to be that mother I need to be true to myself and what I believe and recognize that I am one lucky lady. I believe in the law of attraction. I know that when we think we are happy, we will be happy. You reap what you sow, right?

So there you go. Nothing too Earth shattering, but enough that I feel like I am steering things in the right direction. If you can think of anything that helps you with any of these things, please share! I always love to hear what other people are doing.

12 Comments:

  1. Neisha said...
    This is such a great idea. I am always hoping that I can make these types of changes with my family, but we never stick with it. I do have an idea for family night. Who's Your Hero books are great for a quick lesson without losing the interest of smaller children, but still great for the older kids. There are ideas for songs and scriptures and activities to go with each story - and the illustrations make us all crack up. Here's a link - http://deseretbook.com/store/product/4961119
    Sarah E said...
    Does it sound condescending to say I'm proud of you? I really am. I really believe that these little goals will help you so much in finding the happiness in your life. You've been saying how you're looking for a change in your life. I know you well enough to say that once you make up your mind, you are always able to stick with the things that matter most to you. Good luck in your endeavors. I hope nothing but the happiest in life for you!
    Boquinha said...
    I totally believe in the law of attraction, too! I think these are great, Jill. I have a book recommendation:

    Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-zinn is a wonderful book that'll help with the whole "live in the moment" thing. It's a wonderful stress reliever and anti-anxiety, too. ;)
    Emily said...
    I love your goals! You are so cool. And so much like me.

    I gotta say, I agree with you about April. Every time I read her blog I think, "why can't I be a fun mom like that?" She's AMAZING.
    stacey said...
    Good for you! I always think it is a great idea to re-focus our lives every now and then. Don't forget to take a little time for yourself, I know that when I have some "me" time I always seem to be more focused for whatever comes my way
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Jill-
    Please don't become perfect..I like you just the way you are. If you reach all these goals, I might not be able to be your friend :)
    Boquinha said...
    Holy you know a lot of Stacys. And your SIL isn't even on this thread yet!
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Wow. Way to build my self-esteem Jill and Emily. That was so nice to read, especially since I don't think I am that great. I do love taking my kids places and I love teaching them new things but the truth is a lot of it is just for me.

    Jill, I love this list and I love that you wrote it for the world to see. I think goals are so important. You are so much more likely to accomplish things by writing them down. Just remember, you don't have to be perfect to accomplish your goals. If you go two steps forward, then one step back you are still ahead!
    Shauna said...
    Way to go Jill! You've inspired me to do better as well. Good luck!
    Jillo said...
    I do know a lot of Stacys! A few of my favorite people are named Stacy. :) I guess that is what happens when you're born in the 70's.

    Thank you all for the nice words. I am still feeling pretty pumped up about things although I did just spend 40.00 on a Jedi Halloween costumes. So much for rule goal number 7 today. But in my defence, I did go to every single thrift store from here to there trying to find something that would work. I even went into a fabric store with great plans to sew one, but soon realized it would be more than 40.00 to buy all the stuff.
    I do, however, have on totally thrilled 8 year old.
    Boquinha said...
    Way to be flexible, Jill. Goals can be good, but too much rigidity can be bad. Way to strike a balance! :)
    Jill said...
    Those are all good goals. Don't forget to pray and ask for help in working on them! I loved President Monsons talk too! It really inspired me...oh, and made me cry my eyes out, but at 5 days post pardom, that's not hard to do. Good luck with your goals! I believe change is possible. Another quote from conference that I have thought of a lot is, "Through Christ, I can do ALL things." Because all your goals are richeous and good, you will have tons of help.

Post a Comment