18.8.08



Because my Aunt Shirley is one of the most loving and generous people I know, I have had many opportunities to spend a weekend at Bear Lake. She has a cabin that she is always so sweet to share with people. I have spent many a happy day as a kid on those sandy Bear Lake beaches and I love that I now get to share that with my children. We all love it up there. It is so peaceful and quite. The shore is sandy and the water is crystal clear. It's like our own little private beach without the salt! (and the jelly fish)
Usually every August, we go up to spend time with my Grandpa who lives back East and comes out for a yearly visit. We go up with my aunts and uncles, Aunt Shirley and all my cousins and their kids. It is a tradition that I look forward to every August. There is some fine southern cooking and lots of visiting and playing. It kinda marks the end of summer for me. A very nice way to move into the fall. But this year, Grandpa's heart was bothering him and he couldn't make it out. (we miss you gramps) and so it was just my family. My parents, sisters, nieces, my family and two crazy dogs. We had a really great time. Very relaxing.



One of the funnest things to do on the beach is skip stones. Sounds lame, I know. But Bear Lake is a natural lake and the shores are covered in totally smooth and flat stones that were made by thousands of years of waves rolling them around. They make for perfect skipping stones. The boys had a blast practising their skipping skills.



And if you aren't very good at skipping stones, you can be an expert at throwing them.

The other favorite past time is digging and building in the sand. The little guys spent hours digging away. Wes and Audrey are making a fabulous masterpiece of some sort.

Sandy feet and wet jean cuffs are the name of the game. I think you always end up bringing more sand home in your laundry than you left on the beach. It is fabulous for exfoliating though.

Our attempt at taking a picture of us ourselves. I think it turned out pretty good.

If you ever want proof that a cockroach can live just about anywhere, even in the middle of a giant lake, here you go. The kids found a cockroach out in the water and watched him swim all the way to shore, then crawl around as happy as a cockroach can be. Nasty!

The one thing that always makes me chuckle is no matter how many times you tell your kids, "just stay on the sand, we aren't going in the water right now." It never really works. They always end up wet and in the water, no matter what you are wearing. They just can't resist. That clear water starts calling your name, and you have to check it out.

Even if you are a grown up.


All in all, we had a really great time. Lucy liked to sit in the sand, but she didn't care much for anything else about the beach. She spent most of her time in the cabin. But she did learn to crawl up there! My dad finally got her to do it. We were very proud.

9 Comments:

  1. Sarah E said...
    I like the way you wrote this. Very fun.. I also think it's fun to see how different we are. We're using the same set of pictures, but we have such different ideas. What a fun way to spend a weekend.
    Valeri said...
    Sounds wonderfully relaxing! So glad you had fun. Go Lucy. It's fun to have them crawling, until they start getting into everything!
    Shafferprincess said...
    Looks like you guys had fun, Jill! Next time you're up that way, you'll have to stop by and see us! We'd love see you again and "meet" Lucy! Good times.

    Renee
    Melissa said...
    Oh that looks like a good time. I remember going to Bear Lake once when I was little. I would like to take the kids now that they are old enough to have fun and I don't have to worry about anyone drowning anymore.
    Neisha said...
    Did you know that I am from Bear Lake? I grew up in Laketown (south end). I have family up there, and we try to visit as often as possible, because like you said, it's so peaceful there.
    Jillo said...
    Neisha,
    The cabin is right out of Laketown on the East shore. I love it there. If there was a job for us, we would totally live there, except you would freeze your butt off in the winter.
    Emily said...
    i've never been there, but it looks so nice! that cockroach thing is disgusting. ew. i thought the picture of the three girls was planned that way, i love it!
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    What a fun trip! I'm so glad you got to go!
    Shauna said...
    I LOVE Bear Lake! My grandparents have a condo and we've been going there every summer since I was like 10 years old. Great memories!

Post a Comment