19.7.08

When I was pregnant with Lucy, I developed a delightful case of Pica. Pica, for those who are wondering, is when you crave things that aren't food like chalk, dirt, paper, etc..... or you crave things that are food, but not normally consumed alone like flour, raw potatoes, or ice cubes.

My love was chalk. My mouth still waters a little at the thought of it. Weird, I know! But that's what it was. I would have also eaten sheet rock. Mmmmm Mmmm Mmmmm.

The cause is most often pointed to an iron deficiency and it is pretty common during pregnancy. I've heard of some women who lick the sidewalk because they love the taste of wet cement. I never got that bad, but close! ;)

Now that I am no longer pregnant I am no longer Pica, but I fear I may have passed it on to my cute little Lucy. She LOVES paper, and I mean loves it! She will happily spend a fair chunk of time chewing on paper. Today I caught her munching away on an advertisement. She gave me a look like, "what?" and kept right on eating. Pretty great.

I am not really worried. Pica is very common in kids. Someday she will die from embarrassment when we tell her that her favorite snack was the mail.

So instead of freaking out, I took pictures.
Photobucket

7 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    Jill, that is hiLARIOUS. I love it! I've never known an adult with it, although I have heard of it. Isaac had it too. He used to eat (and I don't mean suck on, he would actually take bites, chew, and swallow) the cardboard middle of paper towels and toilet paper rolls. We actually put them in his stocking for Christmas. He had all these awesome toys, and went straight for the cardboard. He loved it. I was so relieved when he got over that little phase!

    That picture of Lucy is so cute!
    Anonymous said...
    I have one of those. Carly's favorite is lotion. she literaly sucks it from the pump. She is also a big fan of Raw patatos and dirt. I hope someday she grows out of it.
    Jill said...
    I remember when you craved the "smell" of your swamp cooler when you turned it on for the first time....I think you were pregnant with Wes on that one!

    Lucy is such a cutie. She is getting so big...and blonde!
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Lucy is adorable even with mail in her mouth.
    J Fo said...
    Funny! I think I might have gained less with my pregnancy if I craved chalk rather than french fries! Lucy is so adorable...I love her eyes!

    p.s. I got my background form Pyzam.com. I wouldn't have a clue where to start to make my own! :)
    Melissa said...
    Nate's sister had the pica chalk craving too, only it had to be used chalk. She was going to UNLV at the time and would go around to the class rooms and steal their chalk. My cravings, unfortunately, usually take me some where down the candy section of the store. Along with flat feet, I seem to have inherited my dad's sweet tooth.
    Boquinha said...
    Oh wow, those sound like difficult cravings for a germaphobe like me!! Licking sidewalks? Yikes. I wonder what happens when a serious germaphobe gets Pica. What wins out, the chalk or the phobia? :P

Post a Comment