1.7.08
Why is it that these cutie patootie little actresses like Abigail Breslin end up doing shows that are so not appropriate for their ages? 
I just watched Definitely, Maybe and so disappointed. This 11 year old girl is getting her fathers past history with women and he is laying it all out, no holds barred! I mean, come on! Who would really do that? And what 11 year old girl is going to take these things in such good stride? I think that the information provided would have sent any kid into a massive panic attack as well as a three hour question and answer period that I would want no part of.
Do we really need to expose our pre-teens to such things? Does that really make us better parents by holding nothing back when the questions are asked? I do believe in honesty with our children, if they want to know the story of how you met, tell them! But I do not believe sharing stories of threesomes and massive booze binges will help them grow up to be better people.
Grr.... these things really do make me mad. Why does Hollywood get to dictate to us what is cool and acceptable? That isn't real life, is it?
Okay, thanks for the vent.
7 Comments:
-
- Stacy Holmes said...
July 1, 2008 at 12:08 PMI agree- what gets me is the couple that had relations every day for a year, and then wrote a book about it. The couple has 2 teenage kids. Wouldn't you die if your parents were publishing what your parents did in their room for a whole year!- Sarah E said...
July 1, 2008 at 12:29 PMSo what you're saying is... Not worth renting?- Glenna Roundy said...
July 1, 2008 at 1:11 PMIf it sells then it's ok. At least according to the ones who love money and fame more than self respect.- Emily said...
July 1, 2008 at 1:26 PMAha! I am so glad somebody said this. We saw it in the theater and I kept saying those things to Dave--this is NOT okay, why would he tell this to his daughter, yadda yadda--but I was able to forget about his daughter when she wasn't in the scenes at least (what does that say about me?!).- Boquinha said...
July 1, 2008 at 5:41 PM[Sheepishily] I liked this movie. But I totally agree that the premise was WAY too much for a young girl. However, I'm with Emily--I didn't think much about it when she wasn't in the scenes because she wasn't *actually* watching those (or even necessarily hearing about them) even though it was edited that way. So you're right--totally WAY over the top too much for a parent to tell their daughter. I guess for my sanity, I took it as all the info there for us and hoped he was editing it for her in his "telling" of it. But [sheepishly] I did like the movie overall.- Brandon & Jillyn Larsen said...
July 1, 2008 at 8:29 PMthanks for findng me haha and leaving a comment. yeah there's not too many of us Jillyn's out there. I've only met 1 in person and heard of 2 including you! cute kids!- Sarah E said...
July 2, 2008 at 11:15 PMSo tonight Nicole told me that she loved, loved, loved this movie. Now I'm torn... Do I rent? Do I not rent?