23.4.08

I don't know if any of you know this, but I like to think of myself as a teetotaler in hippie. This means that I try to be as green as I can, i.e. hanging my blankets and towels outside to dry and only buying natural organic cleaners, without being too "out there." My newest idea in hippie land is cloth diapers. They keep calling my name. I've priced them out and really as far as cost goes, they aren't any cheaper than generic disposables. After you buy the diapers, (most sites recommend at LEAST 35 of them so you only have to do laundry every 3 days, and at minimum $10.00 a pop that adds up quick,) the diaper pail, (a must have if you are going to have a small mountain of pee pee diapers or worse,) the good smelly things that you put in the bottom of the diaper pail, the extra inserts that you put into the diapers if you have a pee pot for a baby which we kinda do, the sprayer thing that sprays off the poop so you don't have to play in it, the extra water and laundry soap to keep them clean, the extra time you spend changing and washing and putting away diapers, and the inconvenience of carrying around a poopy diaper when your baby goes number 2 at church, it really is a wash. (No pun intended.) You also have to change them a lot more often to prevent leaks and diaper rash.

The one thing on the plus side is it IS a whole lot better for the environment. I won't even start on the problem of disposable diapers in landfills, just know that it is a big one.

So, what would you do? Does anyone have any good ideas? Does anyone use cloth diapers and love/hate them? Are there some super good websites out there that can help me figure all this out? Like I said, I really want to do my part in keeping our Earth cleaner and my family a little healthier, but is this the way to do it? Hmm.........

7 Comments:

  1. Melissa said...
    I think the cons of the cloth diaper dilema out weigh the pros.
    Carolyn said...
    Whoa mamacita! I'm impressed those cloth diapers even know your name! When it comes to poop, I'm all about convenience. But the whole land fill dilemma really is a shame. I'm impressed with your desire of wanting to go cloth.

    I'm so excited to be reunited. I believe that I will now be in better contact with you than ever before!... even better than when we actually lived in the same city!!!
    Alyson said...
    Well, I don't really know anything about this except that my mom used cloth diapers for me and my two older sisters. My younger sister (born 11 year later) was disposables all the way, and my mom said it was so much better.

    The whole idea of having to carry around a dirty diaper at church (or anytime you are out of the house) would be a total turn off for me. I guess you could always use disposables for church.
    Anonymous said...
    What a rip! Going green costs a lotta green.
    Anonymous said...
    My friend Isabel (who is also LDS) blogged about great cloth diapers that are easy- cute- environmentally friendly and have inserts that u can flush down the toilet-..
    anyway here's her blog post...
    http://newtous.blogspot.com/2008/03/diapers-that-make-you-feel-good-about.html
    Anonymous said...
    The shop is http://www.gdiapers.com/
    Sarah E said...
    Those gdiapers actually look really cool. It makes me think about being a little more green. I guess I'm close enough to the end of the road that I could technically just get away with potty training. That works too I guess. If I had another baby, I would probably reconsider the disposable option. Too bad they don't have recyclable diapers. That would be a great in-between option. Then we would have to feel so bad.

Post a Comment