31.3.08

My theme today is babies! I have so many new little babies in my life right now. It is really fun. You know that country song "You're Going to Miss This" by Trace Adkins? (Thanks Natalie for the good song tip!) Well that is how I feel about my life right now. I feel like I am in a good spot. New little people are joining the families of people I am close to all the time. It is so fun to see them grow and get to know their personalities. They are all such little miracles. One day when we are older I know I will look back at this time with such fondness. The beauty of life is that just when we are wishing we had some new little souls to love we will get to see our grandchildren find their way here and then we will get to watch the whole cycle again. My sweet grandma is working on her great grandchildren and I know she loves them as much as any other.

On Saturday I went to a baby fair with my sister in law. The baby fair itself wasn't that great, lots of the same things over and over. (Although I did find a fabulous find called Baby Legs. More on that another day.) What was great was seeing all the sweet little babies. Nothing can bring strangers better together better than a smiling baby.
They were having a cutest baby contest at the fair. For 10 dollars they would take your babies picture and send you a free 9x9 photo. From all the photos if your baby was dubbed "the cutest" then you won a whole list of great things. Major sales gimmick, I know. But can you really expect any mother to pass up the chance to show off her baby? No you cannot.
The line for your babies photograph was somewhat lengthy and while we waited we got chatting with the couple ahead of us. We went through the usual pleasantries that all strangers go through, "How old is he? What is his name" etc. Things pretty much ended there as far a small talk went until Lucy broke out her million dollar smile. The husband, a total stranger I had never met before, started gooing and cooing at her and she responded beautifully. He then took his little guy out from his car seat who smiled a smile from ear to ear and I started gooing right back. Before you knew it we were a couple of idiots making baby noises at these two little people who loved every minute of it. Like I said, nothing breaks the ice better than a sweet baby smile. For the rest of the show if we passed one another, it was an automatic smile and hello. All thanks to Lucy and her sweet smile that is more than contagious.

My point? Sometime I get really discouraged with the world and all the things that happen here. Gas prices send my into a panic attack, people dying horrible deaths have become the norm on the evening news, and the sometimes overwhelming hatred that seems to dominate all of mankind can be so disheartening. My children serve as a true reminder that all is not lost in the world. Joy and happiness are can be everywhere you look. These spirits, so new from our Father in Heaven have no ulterior motives. They are not motivated by greed and corruption. They thrive on love and happiness. On smiles and friendship. I am eternally grateful that I have these guys. They truly are my light and joy as well as the best teachers I have ever had. Now when they are teenagers, maybe my story will change a little. But until then I will let them help me make friends with total strangers and remember that I really am going to miss this someday.

4 Comments:

  1. Sarah E said...
    I love your thoughtful insights. Keep them coming!
    Melissa said...
    Well hello to you! It is so good to hear from you. Your kids are so big and beautiful!! It's been longer than 3 years since I have seen them though. And finally, a girl, congrats! I enjoyed reading all of your posts and seeing the pics of your kids. Hope to see you again some day, but until then, I will enjoy reading your cute blog. Bye from Mississippi.
    Shauna said...
    Oh, how sweet Jill! I understand you completly and I know that I will miss my time with my little ones when they grow up! Right now they still love me and want me around!
    Anonymous said...
    I love that song!! You are soo good to post all of your inner thoughts! I have to work on that with my blog. Thanks for posting comments on my blog--as you can see you are the only one who does. Not too many people in my family or my circle have caught on to the blog thing I think.

    Keep the blogging up. I love it! Angie

Post a Comment