13.2.09

I am toying with the idea of becoming more serious with my photography, but I am worried that my style is a bit too artsy. That is where you guys come in. I would love some honest feedback about these pics of Lucy. Do you love or hate? Personally, I love them, so you can't hurt my feelings by saying you don't. I am mostly interested in if people would want pictures like these of their kids, and if they would be willing to pay someone to do it. =)
So....... what do you think?













20 Comments:

  1. Stacy Holmes said...
    I would pay someone to "dot" it--they are a heckofa lot better than Target and I pay them--and with them I have to wait 2 weeks to see the silly things..Honestly- I love all of them but the last..you did ask :)
    Alison said...
    I love the artsy pictures too. I also like the lame posed at sears pictues but I think it is fun to have a mix of both. I would definately (I can never figure out how to spell that word) pay for these pictures. I think for your site you should show that you can do a good mix of both. The thing I like most about the family pictures you did for us is that it is a traditional picture with just that little something different. That is what I like about your pictures. THat little something different.YOur really good at getting the personality of the people.
    GOod luck I think your on the right path.
    Emily said...
    I think they're great. My kids won't pose for pictures, so I need more of an "on-the-go" photographer, who can capture those cute moments quickly. So if you need some test subjects, I know two cute boys who are very hard to photograph.
    JoRae aka Lolae said...
    Hey Jillyn,
    This is JoRae Nelson now Carver. I got your message and I wanted to get back with you. Your pics look really good for just starting out. I also use a Nikon D80 and my favorite portait lens is my 50mm 1.4aperture. It is worlds of difference compared to that kit lens they give you. I started shooting manual about six months and I love it. I do my editing right now in photoshop elements although I want to get photoshop cs3. I learned a lot of what I know from the forum, ilovephotography.com. It has helped a ton. If you have any more questions email me. My email address is on the side of my photo blog. So good to hear from you, keep practicing and it will come easier.
    Take Care,
    JoRae
    Stacy said...
    I think they are so cute! I love the one where she is hiding her eyes. I think these types of pictures are so fun and really show Lucy's personality. Like Emily said, I also have a test subject that you can use any time you want! Oh-you left a comment on my fb page about Lucy and Amy looking alike. I can see Amy in some of the pictures of Lucy. They both have their own distinct look, but they also both have Oaks in them.
    Jagged Rocks said...
    I love the way your pictures come out. I like artsy pictures. My thing is color, I don't like it when pictures get over saturated, I like it when colors look natural.
    J Fo said...
    I love the more candid and un-posed style. (The first 3 pictures are my favs!) For our wedding we had one photographer doing the posie ones, (Which are necessary), and her assistant was just snapping candids and we didn't even realize it. Those candid ones are our absolute favorites. Embrace your artsy style and go for it!
    Andrea said...
    Dude, if I had that kind of "artsy" inclination, I'd go into business with it. The black and white, candid photos are gorgeous! All of them are better than the pictures I take!
    Shafferprincess said...
    I love them, Jill. I love a good mixture of posed and non-posed pic's. If you can just be totally relaxed and let the kid go with the flow, I think it makes it more fun for the parents and the kids. I say go for it!
    Amber said...
    That's awesome! Do it!! I love those kind of pix!! Great Job!!
    Boquinha said...
    Are you kidding me?! YES!! You're AWESOME at this!! I LOVE the pictures and think you have a gift. I really mean that. I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it.

    Your timing is hilarious. We just did our own little photo session . . . oh my.
    Angie of Down This Road Designs said...
    I think these are awesome! I love the artsy look--it catches personality so much better than the cookie cutter kiddie kandids, hurry up and get the picture, we have other people waiting shots. I think you do a great job. I will have to have come over and tell what I have done wrong with my homemade area I have set up in our spare bedroom. I need some pointers for sure after looking at yours.
    Sarah E said...
    You know I would support you and we'd be the first to sign up. I really love your stylish eye.
    Nathan and Alyssa said...
    So how much do you charge? (I'm serious) I want to get Isaac's one year old pictures soon. These pictures are adorable, and I think you've definitely got the talent to make some money at this.
    Jaz said...
    Jill-I think your pics are gorgeous...and I think it's because you are showing the subject--not the props. Just like I like my scrapbooks to be more about the photos than the accessories, I like my portraits to capture the kid, their personality, that time in their life and what is shaping them. I love the emotion in their faces that you can capture without saying "cheese". My only advice on the subject (coming from a business side cause I'm hopeless at photography) would be to ask yourself if you feel "inspired" to share this talent. Are you doing it for the love of doing it--or to make money as a side business? They seem silly questions--but it really makes a difference in what impact this business has on you, your family, your customers, and your love for photography. PS I would love for you to photograph my kids and I would love to make a portfolio for you.
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    Yes, these pictures are beautiful and YES you can totally do this! I do like some of your other pictures better than a couple of these though. I like all of these pictures a lot except for the second and last ones. It's mainly just the background I don't like. I think you should pull her a bit further away from that background.

    The one of Weston in the post below is incredibly professional! I love that the background blends into black and I love the coloring of his skin in that one. Because the light is so good the picture is sharper too. I love it!

    The one of Tanner sleeping two posts below is also incredible. Any mom would love a picture like that.

    The top picture of Lucy in the "and now" pictures in her blessing dress is awesome. Again, I think it's the bright lighting and the awesome background that I really love about that picture.

    Your wedding pictures are all amazing. I don't think I could have done nearly as good. Actually, I know I can't yet.

    I could go on but my main point is that while this batch of photos isn't my personal favorite of yours I think you have a lot of talent and I wish I could get some of the shots you get. In the righ lighting your pictures are much cripser than mine. I have yet to learn how do do that. YES you can do this!
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Jillo-
    My kids are off track next week- interested in getting together? Oh, and bring your camera--I will bring some money for you too- how does that sound? My place or yours?
    Jenny said...
    Why am I always last to comment?! I LOVE your photos! I really love how you take close-ups. They're my favorite. You are great at lighting too which I think is the hardest part of photography. Your style is just right for kids but if you did candids of adults you might have to change it up a bit- people might not want one of themselves with their hands over their face hehe :) You have a real talent!!!
    The Bell Family said...
    I agree with what everyone else has said, I love the artsy look and you definitely have an eye for photography, go for it!
    wonderwoman1975 said...
    I definitely like the artsy-fartsy look. Gives more texture and character to the shot, if you ask me.

Post a Comment