15.11.08

I just read the most interesting book about Lady Jane Grey, also known as the 9 day queen. She was the shortest ruling queen in the history of England, serving only 9 days before she was beheaded for treason. The lives these people lived were both incredibly fascinating and completely insane.
Now I am reading up on Mary I, (the sweet darling that ordered the beheading of Lady Jane because she wanted to be the queen and didn't play very nice) and her sister Elizabeth. Good stuff.
It makes me awfully glad that I am alive now and not then. Women had no rights at all, although the dresses were pretty fabulous. What a long way we have come. Can you imagine being forced to marry your cousin because your parents wanted to be in the royal court, only to be tried for a crime you didn't commit and then beheaded as punishment without having a single say?
CRAZY!

7 Comments:

  1. Boquinha said...
    Have you read a lot of Phillipa Gregory's stuff? What book is this? CRAZY is right!
    Stacy Holmes said...
    Thanks for the tip- I am always looking for a good book. You can really pick em
    Alisha said...
    Sounds fascinating! Speaking of good books, I just wanted you to know I thought your R.S. lesson was great! I loved how you used the opening paragraph from A Tale of Two Cities. It reminds me that there have always been hard times, it's just how you go about preparing for them and dealing with them when they occur that matters. You're a great teacher!
    April (Thorup) Oaks said...
    I have a hard time reading about that type of history because it is so dark. I agree with you though... it is facinating and completely insane.
    Emily said...
    I felt that way after reading the Other Boleyn Girl. I just could not imagine living then. Awful.
    Sarah E said...
    Yikes! Makes you all the more greatful for the husband you've got!
    Annie said...
    i know this has absolutely nothing to do with queens, but since you seem interested in historic women you should read "pope joan." it's a historical fiction book about this woman who was thought to have been pope in like the 9th century or something--it's an awesome read!

Post a Comment