17.4.08



Often the only word to describe Weston, our three year old, is surly. He can be the most ornery thing you have ever laid eyes on. (but it should be noted he is also darn cute and very sweet most of the time.) He has NEVER been a good sleeper. He was born 8lbs 10 oz. so I thought we were made in the shade with sleeping. Bigger babies sleep better right? But no, not the case with Wes. He only started sleeping through the night at age 2 and 3/4. (No, that is not a typo). Not only would he not sleep, he screamed! For hours and hours if you let him. He is not one of those "cry it out" kinda guys. Right before Lucy was born, I was in panic mode because Wes was such a rotten sleeper and how was I going to cope with two babies up all night!?! But blessing from heaven poured down on us and suddenly our sleep troubles were over! For about 2 months Lucy and Weston would both sleep all night. HEAVEN!


Well..... then he got sick. All of our sleeping through the night bliss has flown out the window. We are back to the screaming, crying and the delight that comes from being woken up at 2 a.m. by a hysterical 3 year old. The bonus this time is he wakes Lucy up and she won't go back to sleep unless you feed her.


So here we are, or rather here I am since Kent has the fabulous talent of sleeping through ANYTHING unless you beat him, and usally this is not worth the effort. Last night he woke up yelling for mom. I went in there and he wanted to sleep in our bed. This is generally discouraged, he snores horribly, but I let him in to save peace. We all fell back asleep for exactly 20 minutes. Up again, and this time he wants a drink. Now before you shake your heads at me and remind me that I am doing this to myself by giving in, I KNOW!!! The alternative is at least 2 hours of screaming and waking everyone up. Remember, it IS 2 o'clock in the morning....


After the drink and back in his own bed I am thinking we are home free. Not the case. This time there is screaming just for the joy of screaming. I tried to ignore him, but 30 minute later Kent, myself, Lucy and Tanner were all awake as well. Good times.


Kent decides that he will go lay in Weston's bed and Wes can sleep in our bed. An unheard of thing, but it is now almost 4:00 am and we need sleep. He hands Weston to me, we calm everyone down and try to go back to sleep. This time we get 5 minutes of peace before Weston starts back up. He now wants to sleep in his own bed. He climbs out of our bed, goes to sleep in his bed and stays there for the rest of the night. Kent eventually found his way back to our bed and we slept somewhat peacefully until the alarm went off. Sigh...


Now I really promise that I am not the world's worst parent. I DO know that this is not the "Nanny Jo" way to handle things, and there are many many other parts of parenting that I can pass with flying colors. Just not this part. I just don't have it in me. Hopefully this is just a rotten relapse phase and soon we will be blissfully passing our nights again by sleeping. Until then I will focus on how much I love little Wes and the funny things he says and does that crack me up. He is quite the character in every thing he does.


So the next time you see me, if I fall asleep mid sentence, please forgive me. At least now you have a little idea why.

6 Comments:

  1. Sarah E said...
    You know... you're creating this pattern. Nanny Jo would so NOT approve! ;)
    Jillo said...
    I know, I know! I tell myself this every time I am filling up that darn cup of water at 2:00am.
    Anonymous said...
    Hmmm I am thinking that Wes will not be having sleep overs at Grammy's!
    Hey why do they call it a 'sleep' over. No one ever does!
    Shauna said...
    Wow...I don't envy you! I have been lucky to have great sleepers at my house. I am one who desperatly needs her sleep! I will be crossing my fingers for you that it will get better!
    Sarah E said...
    I'm anxiously awaiting those party pictures! How did it all go?
    Melanie said...
    Oh Jill! I'm so sorry! I love the Baby Whisperer's term in situations like these: accidental parenting. We can relate - on a lesser degree - at our house. Tate has reverted back to being a newborn again, waking several times a night. The other day I actually said to him, "if you want mommy to be nice during the day, you better start sleeping at night." Our best ally has been our iPhones: get him in bed, turn on a movie on the phone, and generally he'll fall asleep some time (if he's not sleeping, at least we can for a few hours). I'm sure Nanny Jo would really applaud our efforts as well.

Post a Comment